Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2004, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

industry standards for land. maintenance co.

Hi,
Our Landscape maint. co. will be a year old in July. We have worked our tails off during this first year to create a contract base of more than 34 contracts and also done around $18 000 in small installation jobs (adding beds to existing scapes, annual gardens). We think that we will end our first year with around 45 - 55 contracts on our books and hope to increase the installation side of the business. I recently hired our first two employees after numerous attempts to find quality people.

As I have no way of measuring our development thus far I am hoping that some of you seasoned owners out there will give me an idea as to what you might think. Are we growing too slowly or are we exceeding the average growth of startup companies in this industry. We started with a truck/trailer/36" mower/push mower/weedeater/blower.

My main concern though, is how to determine the industry standards - especially for staffing. What % of gross is used as the guideline for wage costs. Any other industry standards would also be very valuable to us.

Thanks for the help,
Clint Weimann
Good Natured Gardening
Old 05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know of any hard a fast rules to guide you. As far as staffing is concerned, I hire more help when the existing help is maxed out (defined as six ten hour days). At that point I hire in a new guy or two and expect to pick up more business. It's kind of a short-sighted approach to planning but it keeps my labor costs in line. The same goes for equipment. I buy another truck when all the others are full & it's time to hire! Yep, it's a seat of the pants/instinctual way to go about things but it works for me.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: industry standards for land. maintenance co.

Quote:
Originally posted by springbokker

My main concern though, is how to determine the industry standards - especially for staffing. What % of gross is used as the guideline for wage costs. Any other industry standards would also be very valuable to us.
You might want to call your state 'green' association, if your state doesnt have one (i think they all do, or at least should) contact PLCAA

www.plcaa.org
Old 05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi springbokker,

Here is another site that might be able to help you.

http://www.scnla.com/
Old 05-24-2004, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a lot of times only you can really gage how well everything is coming along. You know your business more than others.