Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2000, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

hey guys i replaced the fuel pump in my 3/4 ton chevy pickup and when i took the fuel pump out the float mechanism fell out so i did not get a chance to see how it went to gether! i put it in the way i thought it should go but now my fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank all the time so i guess i did not get it in there right! does anyone have picture they could show me on how this goes together or some advise? thanks abunch!!!!
Rob Schacht
Old 12-12-2000, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck,you'll need it.You can test the guage before you install it on the bench.If you have an ohm meter,the guage read about 2-7 ohms at full and 83-90 at empty,just hook it the the wire and swing it thru the arch up and down to and see if it works.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

still not sure

thanks but the info that i need is how does the float acutally attach to the sending unit itself! does the float point towards the front of the truck or towards the rear? does anyone have a picture they could show me?
thanks again
Rob Schacht
Old 12-12-2000, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone
Old 12-13-2000, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont have any info on the trucks, but this is from my chiltons manual but im not sure if it will help, if someone has the chiltons for the trucks they can help because it does have diagrams in it of the fuel sender.

what i got in this is

the float looks like a hotdog with a hold in the middle, and it is slid on a metal rod? the float is on the same side as the fuel tubes.

it looks like there are stoppers on the maximum height and minimum height the floats can travel that are on the fuel level sender.

It is possible that your float can be bad, and you would find a replacement at the dealership, autozone might sell it, i know not many parts store carry fuel tank parts.

the fuel sender diagram is used in numerous cars, so im not sure if it will apply to your truck.