Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2004, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Around September or earlier I would start contacting commercials....they like to have their mowing lined out for the next season early. Advertise for chem apps if you do this, if not, you're missing out. Advertise for aerations and overseeding...they can turn into mowing accounts for the next season. If you have help and doing 50 residentals in two days...I think I would consider getting rid of one of them and spread them out until it takes you four days and save on labor cost. I think one man could do 10 a day on his own...just my .02

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 05-27-2004, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EZTarget,

I would say that the answer to your question is: All Year Long.
I run advertising almost year round. It's all about frequency, getting your name out there in front of as many people as you can as ofter as you can. There are thousands of lawn maintenance companies out there and hundreds more that start up each year and you somehow need to distinguish your company from all the others.

The problem with one time general advertising is if your ad is not right in the consumers hand when they need the service then chances are their not going to call. Trying to time your flyer's, brochures, phone calls etc. is difficult because you may miss their need by just weeks.

Chances are your not going to pick up any clientele in the winter but come the first of spring after people have seen your ads all winter long and now have your name associated with lawn maintenance they will look you up when the time arises, eliminating the need to try to target them at a specific point in time.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wells, I'm in Salt Lake too. I work all over the valley by myself.
You won't see my in Draper though, cause I don't go that far.
What forms of advertising do you use in the offseason?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nriddle77,

Local Papers mostly.

1. Draper paper
2. Sandy Journal
3. Murray Journal
4. South Valley Journal
5. Grocery Store Bulletin boards
6. Local Neighborhood websites
7. Draper Chamber
8. Community event sponsor

I try to target specific areas that I want to work in instead of blanketing the whole S.L. valley.

Ads in the Jounals and local papers are inexpensive and a great way to advertise year round. In the Winter people will read those papers cover to cover. Somtimes i'll place several ads in the same paper.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do a full service lawn maintenance. Besides the regular mow, trim, bag, blow etc: I also do aeration, power raking, power edging, interseeding, sodding, mulching (good money), hedge trimming, gutter cleanouts. I also have a few accounts were I do a 5 step fert. and weed control program. This has been going well for us as I get more and more people asking me to do this.

When we started 5 years ago I also started doing alot of handyman work to fill my time. This has grown into a full scale home improvement and remodeling business on its own. We do quite a bit of hardwood floor installations, ceramic tiling, etc.
My two biggest projects last year was finishing a 1300 sqft basement and finishing a 2280 sqft new constructed house on two levels. The basement and the house were just an empty shell - we did everything.

Other projects completed includes flat top roofs capped, concrete patios, concrete drives, decks, pergolas, reshingle roofs, siding, playsets, etc, etc,

We? - me, my wife, my children, part time carpenter and subcontractors where needed.
Where do we get time to do all this?
With enough mercy from Above we eventually get it done. Spring is usually the craziest as we have a hard time getting through our regular mowing schedule and to schedule other projects as well.

Anyhow - wanted to share with you that if you are in a service orientated business and you offer them there will always be somebody that has a need for it.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software.
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day trial here.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

hi athep,
what part of slc are you in?

"Let Us Do Your Homework"

2001 Ford f150Supercrew
Big Tex 30SA 6.5 x 10 Trailer
Snapper 21" Comm. Hi-Vac Bagging Mower
Shindaiwa T261 Trimmer
Tanaka TPE-2510 Stick Edger
Shindaiwa Eb240 Blower
Husqvarna 19 Aerator