Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-31-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish. I saw a orange murcialago pass me on the road yesterday and was drooling hours afterwards.
Attached Images

Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Old 05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Having owned both a V-10 ('99) and a PSD ('96) I will say this. If you are towing heavy loads on hills on a daily basis (I was) the diesel is the way to go. If you are doing the daily driver thing with many short legs then maybe gas is the way to go.

With my diesel I was dragging 9k pounds just about daily up and down the hills here in NY. It was great. Now I drag two horses in a gooseneck every couple of weeks that runs about 6k or so and while I have no problems, I do miss the diesel once in a while. No problems, just different styles. I drop the gasser down and wrap up the rpm's and up the hills we go. Gets it done, just not the same.

I have 70k miles on my gasser and have had zero problems. I sold my PSD with my last business and it had 97k on it and I did have to replace the tranny, damn module screwed up the torque converter so I had it totally rebuilt and bulletproofed. Not a problem that was related to the engine.

Mileage can be an issue. I used to see about 14 mpg with the PSD and trailer. I get around 11 with the V-10 and trailer running similar routes. One thing that I do like about the 10 is being able to find gas anywhere! Around me there was only one place that was relatively convenient for diesel so that was a pita on occasion.

I have been happy with both and I would say that it really depends and what you will need to do with it. As with any business decision, base it on your needs! Any truck will have its pro's and con's so put some thoughts into what you want it to do for you. Speed and power are only functions of how much $$$ you want to throw at the problem. Given enough money I'm sure we can all keep "one-upping" each other on speed, towing power, etc.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 05-31-2004, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I just can't decide between this
Attached Images

Stihl 4mix

Old 05-31-2004, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

or this.........
Stihl 4mix

Old 05-31-2004, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

(Sorry)
Or this.................
Attached Images

Stihl 4mix

Old 06-01-2004, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hard choice! Very, Very, different trucks. Do you need 4x4, do you need long bed? IMO you need the super-cab. It will be so much nicer to work with all the extra room. I guess price and miles will come into play.
It sounds like you are looking at a personal truck as well as a business truck. For business get a white 2x vinyl seat small v8 cheap truck. But from your posts it sounds like you want to be stroked by your ride. Again, IMO (and I believe most others) the diesel is a more manly ride, and 4x4 is also better for overcoming other deficiencies. As far as the ride for the EGO, 4x PSD,supercab is the only way to go.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

LOL..... Wow, since we're tying our trucks to our manliness...the diesel is shorter.....you could always say that your bed is bigger! Length has to count for something!

I agree that the supercab is the way to go. I will never own a regular cab after having had one years ago. The SC with a short bed is a nice combo, and having lived in IL, I know you will want the 4x4 in the winter. Also, I can't tell from the picture but does it have a plow mount? If so what kind? Just wondering.....

Turning radius should be about the same with either....bad. Only thing I haven't like about my Fords is that they need space to turn! But both have been SC 8' beds.

Both good trucks, but given where you live, etc I think you would be better off with the diesel if it won't put you too far behind the 8 ball with payments. IMO, it does you no good to have a truck you can't afford just so you look cool. Remember, after all your friends have seen it once, it's no longer "new" to them....

Good luck!

Pete
Old 06-01-2004, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, just think for a second everybody. Gas vs. diesel...most of us are towing trailers around all the time and hauling mulch, so why do you think Ford and Chevrolet only advertise their diesel heavy-duty trucks in magazines and on TV? When I think of a truck, I automatically think diesel. I think that is what makes it a truck IMO.