Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-03-2004, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Battery not charging

My battery on my great dane keeps on going dead. I ordered a new muffler because it is shot and extreme heat is being redirected towards engine . Could it bepossible that the heat screwed up the wiring and battery?..i go through a battery every 2 days. The muffler will take 2 weeks to gt so i have to deal with it. Also,,would a dead battery keep the blades from engaging because of the electric clutch.. Everyone around here is 2-3 weeks for service and i need this thing until the grass slows down. Any input is appreciated. P.s. I hate dealing with electrical problems. Thanks ,,,mark
Old 06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could have a blown fuse, a lose wire,a bad switch, a bad ref/reg, a bad stator(AKA alternator) and the list goes on. The electric clutch will run that down if the charging system is out of action. Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery when it is running. It should be at least 12.5 to 13 VDC at full throttle even with the PTO on. Check the voltage at the stator BEFORE it gets to the ref/reg. At full throttle it should be 30 or so VAC. The problem could be in a hundred places. See if you can get a wiring diagram it would make things a lot easier. By the way you can get a battery charger and recharge a dead battery. Goof luck.