Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2004, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most important Equip?

Ok, question for all you pro's out there. If you were just starting out what would be the FIRST piece of "heavy" equipment that you would buy if you had it to do all over again? Our focus will be on moderate to mostly smaller ponds and falls. I think our largest clientel will be in an area with many hills and slopes. I have not started yet, but will be taking two BAP classes next week and i am just trying to plan for "down the road". My thoughts (from a totally uninformed person mind you) is that i should look at either a skid steer with tracks, or a mini skid steer with backhoe attachment as well, or a dedicated mini escevator. Not sure though. Our budget will be limited initially or else i would just buy all three. I am leaning twords either the mine E or the mini skidsteer at this point. Here is the pic of the mini E that i was looking at. Thanks for the help guys!
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A dump truck of some type. Maybe just a 1 ton with a dump.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

toys r nice but not needed instill u r putting in lots of ponds
renting the machine that fits the job at hand is the best thing to do in the beginning and for most larger projects
the mini skids like the dings and bobcat r great time savers but at close to 30 grand and u still need a trailer and a place to store it i would rent first
i have put in ponds and i can tell u that they almost never have access for all types of equipment some i can get a backhoe in some r dug by hand and a roto tiller some r just to damm small for heavy equip. u also have to go over existing plants and hardscaping not with heavy equip.
so if u havent built any ponds yet watch the class they will do it by hand and it does go fast so pay attention
and remember on your first pond to take pride in what u r doing no amount of shinny stuff will make any pond u build better if u dont take some pride in it
good luck
Old 06-06-2004, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great advice. I figure i wont buy ANYTHING till after my 10th pond or fall. That should help to give me an idea as well as to what i should need. I went to the rental yard yesterday and they wanted 175$ per day for the dingo. That was WITHOUT attachments! 215$ a day with a trencher or a bucket! So i was just looking ahead at the 215$ a day rental vs what a payment will be for one. Just thinking long term is all. I heard that Dingo offers a trailer and attachment special, but i cant find it ANYWHERE! I searched alot this morning on here and lots have mentioned it, but no links or pics that i can find as of yet. Thanks for the great input so far guys. VERY much appreciated.

And on a side note DUSTYCEDAR: My wife likes your advice the best that we shouldnt spend money yet! Wanna guess who runs the books? DANGIT!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GET A TRANSIT AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT that is the best thing i can pass along
Old 06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a transit? Got a web link?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DUSTYCEDAR
GET A TRANSIT AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT that is the best thing i can pass along
That too.

I was going to get one, but lucked out because the guy I had do the digging let us use his.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO!!!!!!! A TRANSIT! LOL! I was racking my brain trying to think of what machine that was! Finally i did a search........... DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! OMG LMAO!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

get a bx22 or bx23 kubota tlb