Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Will Bunton 32" deck intercahnge with 52"?

I currently have an early 90's vintage Bunton 36 hydro with a 16 HP Vanguard on it. I came across a 52" Bunton of similar vintage, also with the 16HP Vanguard, but it is belt drive. Would it be possible to swap the decks so that I end up with a 52" hydro to keep and a 36" belt-drive to sell? How much work would this be? I like the idea of the larger cut, but I don't want to sacrifice the manueverability of the hydro. Will the 16 HP be enough to run a 52" deck AND a hydro unit?

Thanks for any input,

Tom
Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as it is the same year with the same mounting holes you can convert it. You will have to get the right PTO belts and linkage rods. Your dealer will be able to help you with the swap. Back then the new units came in two crates. The power unit and the Deck. Make sure you give the dealer the model and serial numbers off of the deck and power unit.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, mowerman,

I'm not sure about the year, but it appeared to have the same mounting holes on the deck. They look to be close in year - the power units appear to be almost identical, save for the hydro resevoir, etc.

Shouldn't I be able to swap the PTO pulleys and control rods too? I thought that the PTO and power pulleys were separate.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the power units are the same, yes you can just change out the PTO belts and linkage rods. The pulleys should be the same.