Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks great Lynn. I have a XT3200-72 and have a couple of questions for you. I'm not sure if you've read any of my posts about my frustrations with my machine. I have been making progress slowly but surely. My problem is with the discharge.. I seem to get a lot of small clumps that just drop to the side of the discharge chute. I am cutting lawns that are anywhere from 7-9" down to 4-4.5"

The small clumps are not the real problem though as I understand that I am cutting a lot of grass. The real problem is on my second pass I can't make the clipping disappear. Sometimes it will just move them to a new row or it won't even lift them up off the ground under the deck..... and sometimes it will even lay a very thin and neat strip of clippings right under the deck. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Anyway.. since you have (or have had) so many 72" Dixies I wanted to see if you've encountered the same thing? Maybe with the XT3000?

I have been using the stock high lift blades. I picked up a set of the 3" blades yesterday.. so I'll see how they do tomorrow. I have the deck pitched approx 1/4"

Thanks!

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll see a tremendous difference if you set your deck at level pitch front to rear. All of ours are set level and we see none of the problems you've described..............Lynn P.S. when you go over a lawn the second time we always move our decks up at least one notch
Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Lynn.. I believe I tried a level deck at one time without improvement. I'll try it again. What height do you generally cut at?

Are you saying that with any 72" machine you had/have.. that you have no problems making clippings disappear? Are the lawns shown done in one pass? How tall was the grass and what heoght was it cut?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 06-19-2004, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many gallons per hr do those machines use and what ballpark range are they in?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's hard to get the diesels to use over a gal/hr unless the grass the super tall. We mow most of our lawns at 4" to 4.5"..........Lynn
A new 50 lists for almost $17,000 but can be bought for a little less than$15,000 outright.