Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2004, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a good plan, that's how we started. I dont know about a Walker I would just buy a ZTR and get a collection system, in case you dont bag all of your lawns

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2005 Chevy 2500HD with 8' Western Ultramount Pro
2008 Chevy 1500 2WD WT
14' tandem axle Maxey
3, 52" Wright Standers, 23 HP
2, 36" Encore hydros
Stihl Handhelds
Toro Snowblowers
Old 06-17-2004, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

The reason that i want a Walker mower is because the nice cut it leaves and they are the only commercial mower around here, we don't have any exmark dealer or toro or snapper. None of the other ones so i went with walker. What Mower do u think would be better A John Deere self propelled with a mulcher and bagger or a Honda self propelled with mulch and bagger? My neighbor has a John Deere mower and his lawn looks nicely cut but then my other neighbor has a honda and his lawn looks nicely cuttoo
Old 06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker is a good mower The main thing is the service department as long as the dealer has a good service department you will be in good shape
Old 06-17-2004, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

89Ranger -

I have 2 21" cub cadets... not my personal favorite but was in the same position as you several years ago and opted to go for the middle of the road equip., or atleast I thought at the time. They are both 2 & 3 years old; still using them and run fine. Minor problems with both of them.

I am looking for a new 21". Most of my yards are small and can't justify a wb at the time being. I went to the Honda dealer to find out more about the Hondas. He told me to go straight to the JD dealership (we have a Honda, JD, and Kubota dealerships in town) and look at the JX75. "Don't waste your time with the Hondas. Although a great machine, they are pricey and have a smaller engine compared to the JD." This was coming from the Honda salesperson! So I went and checked out the JDs.

Haven't bought one yet but will in the near future. He quoted me at $775 and the Honda at $1050.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you get a JD "21, get a 14SB, or the models closest to that. They have been the models we've used for 4 years now and they are very easy to work on, dependable, tough, and worth every penny. One thing you should look into is the rubber tires. We've never used them, but our friend has them on his 14SB's and he thinks he sees less wear on them. We haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet.

2008 Chevy 1500 2WD WT
14' tandem axle Maxey
2, 36" Encore hydros
Stihl Handhelds
Toro Snowblowers
Old 06-23-2004, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Woods,
How many hours on your 38" JD? I've got the same one I think....made in 1994. I bought used last summer with only 200 hrs. on it. I've 80 on it in the last 3 months!! What kind of blades are you running on it? I was using the high lift factory blades but have switched to gators. They do a pretty good job.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It has an astounding 1135 hours on it with the 12.5 Kawasaki. It's just got standard blades on it because we bought it strictly as a backup. We bought it from a guy at the Lake Of The Ozarks who used it to mow his yard down there, and heard we had a lawn business and was trying to get rid of it before he sold his house. It still starts on the first or second pull and runs like a deere! We wish we could have seen the machine run back when it was brand new.

2008 Chevy 1500 2WD WT
14' tandem axle Maxey
2, 36" Encore hydros
Stihl Handhelds
Toro Snowblowers