Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire Tricks

I normally don't mess with tires. I'd rather slime most leaks and wait till I'm in the shop for other service. (Yes I apologize for it, the stuff is NASTY).

Replacing a 20" x 8" tire (old one had a sidewall puncture), here is my dumb question -- how do I get the new tire to seal to the rim when it is decidedly limp. I've used vasalene before to help seal smaller tires. Yes, it works, and has allowed 'field repairs.' Is it bad for the tire? I don't know.

It's a rain day and I was trying to do it on the mower. Have done it successfully before with smaller tires (and a bit of vasalene) but this one has me stumped. I'm ready to go buy a tube...

Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a couple. One safe and one for experienced users only. Get hurt your on your own.

1) Air source that puts out a HUGE volume of air and blow it on.

2) Spray a small (VERY SMALL) amount of ether inside the tire and light it. It will seat the bead on the tire like right now.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, #2 does sound a bit like that old 'Monty Python' bit about curing athlete's foot with small explosives though!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't light it by holding the match up too it............just throw a match at it and be ready with the air it will lose the seal quickly.This actually works very well just don't over do it with the ether and it's not dangerous. Spray a big shot in there and it can be so use some common sense here.
Last time this method was posted it got deleted. I wonder how long this one will last.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

remove the valve from the valve stem - then blow air into the tire. If that doesn't seat the tire, try tying a rope or belt/strap around the circumferance of the tire. Last ditch = get some roofing tar and spread it around the rim and them bead it - I've used this a couple of times to bead some really tough to bead rims - good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

At Men's Prayer Breakfast this morning a guy said "take the stem out." He also said the ether works. Strapping or roping the tire has been affirmed by several people. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadarrows
Don't light it by holding the match up too it............just throw a match at it and be ready with the air it will lose the seal quickly.This actually works very well just don't over do it with the ether and it's not dangerous. Spray a big shot in there and it can be so use some common sense here.
Last time this method was posted it got deleted. I wonder how long this one will last.
Well there has been a thread on killing weeds with gas running for sometime now....
Old 06-24-2004, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, old trimmer gas is only good for killing thistles, but it does a real good job at that. Also, I've been known to dollup a little on driveway weeds (very effective, but do it discreetly, as a smoking sidewalk superintendent could cause you problems).

Of course you didn't hear that!

Now back to how it went with the tire. Yesterday (Wedensday) when I posted was a rain day. I'd started the tire change the night before and ran out of light. Thursday morning dawned bright and HOT. When I got to the machine I wrapped a rope around the circumference of the tire and pulled the valve stem out. With a little finageling the tire seated fast with a shot from my compressor. I then replaced the stem and pumped to spec pressure.

So I did not have to resort to the ether or the roofing tar but I'm thankful for all of you who reached into your bag of tricks.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ANYONE can do it that way. You asked for tricks.