Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I would stick to your orginal quote. All too often I get under bid and 3-4 weeks later the customer is calling about what a crappy job they are doing and will gladly pay more for me to take over. Just be patient, you will quickly find there are plenty of customers that will pay what you originally quoted for the same size yard if you provide quality work.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

C & J, thanks for that. If I were to quote him again, I would say maybe $130 a month. That seems to be a little more fair. I did a job for this same guy about five months ago. He wanted some work done, and I quoted him without looking at the job. It was a lot more work than I thought. I learned from that experience, and I will learn from this one too. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

greenguy,
I'm from around the Columbia area, your bid sounded dead on to me, I would have bid $160 a month just to cut, trim, edge and blow it all off every week. If someone thinks doing it for $40 a month is a deal, then let them go for it, I wouldn't re-bid the place or even take them on as a client later on after they find out the cheap guy only shows up once in a while or once school lets back in no one cuts your lawn anymore. Besides you would regret it in the long run. One thing I've learned, and I'm sure most on this board has as well, if they want the cheapest they will always look for the cheapest no matter if they are under contract or not, if that's how they are, let them go, smile and walk away. I lost a customer one time that I charged $35 a cut for to some teens who were cutting for summer money for $15 a cut, it looked rough and when school was back in they never came back to cut it. Well the guy calls me in September and says the kids haven't cut in over a month. I told him I wasn't interested in taking him back on. His grass wasn't mowed the rest of the year either.

Live and learn