Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

echo trimmer issues

I am having the weirdest issue with my echo weed eater. First of all, if i lay it down flat on the garage floor, all the fuel leaks out ovenight. I am assuming the tank has a leak but the trimmer is a year old and you can't really tell where the leak is coming from. Second, when i do get it running, it will run perfect for about 10 seconds and then begins to sputter and then eventually dies. I have used brand new gas mixture and checks every issue the manual has suggested. Please help me, so far this year has been trying to say the least and i am trying to save shop repair costs. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That trimmer has a two year warranty if I am not mistaken. Take it back to where you bought it and have them deal with it. I have had trouble with some of my Echo products as well. Had a carb replaced under warranty. Had to rebuild one myself that was out of warranty.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Take it back to the dealer and let them look at it. I had some problems a couple of years ago with my echo trimmers and had to take them back to the dealer the same week I bought them. Turned ou t that Echo released a batch of trimmers that had bad carbs so the dealer was replacing the carbs under warranty. Although it has been awhile ago that happened (2 years) you might have gotten ahold of one that has a bad carb.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Dogger, I would check or replace the tank vent bulb. That is if your trimmer has one? I had a similar problem with my echo blower once. The tank vent bulb is sometimes tucked into a cavity inside the plastic engine shrouding. Follow your rubber tubing out of the fuel tank. The tank vent bulb is a white nylon plug on the end of one of these rubber tubes coming from the fuel tank. The other tube is the fuel supply line to the carburator. The vent bulb is available at your echo dealer and is an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Also check the fuel filter inside the tank. This wouldnt cause the leak but in two of my echo trimmers that I have the fuel filter moves around towards the fuel cap. So when i turn the trimmer over or move it in just the right spot the trimmer will die. Usually wont run at all when fuel isnt full. When this happens that is. Also check fuel lines. I had a pin hole in mine that was causing a leak that I could never find. Just found it by mistake one day. For what its worth anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jet Mech nailed it....it's the tank vent.

And all that "idiot" talk. My, my.... I thought only wingers like myself did that....

-GreenT