Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2004, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

used f-150

Hey guys I was looking at buying a used F-150 1997 or newer. Have any of you heard of problems with the 1997 opposed to a later year because it was the first one of the new model. Also I am looking to be able to pull a trailer nothing bigger than a 12 foot single axel. Will this be a strugle for a 4.2 v6? Any advice on a reg cab or super cab and 4wd or not would be great. I am looking to only spend around 7 grand and find one with under 80,000 miles on it. Is this realistic?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prices I dont know.. engines I know. Stay away from the early 4.2's. They had a problem with leaking coolant thru the front cover into the crankcase and eating up the lower end bearings. The 4.6 and 5.4's werent too bad, tho they did have problems with blowing sparkplugs outta the heads from time to time. Also a head gasket issue, leaking oil externally. If I was gonna pick a year or years to buy a Ford, it wouldnt be the 97 to 99 year group. 80K on a used truck that you have no idea where its been or who took care of it is a crap shoot. Especially since I see yur from the salt belt. Salt and the winters really take a toll. If yur gonna buy.. try and buy from a Ford dealer, have em look into all the recalls and such to make sure there isnt any loose ends waiting to come undone as soon as you drive away! Also you might wanna take the truck you pick out to another independant garage and have em look at it. Might be worth the few dollars spent in the long run.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks. Whats the difference between an f150 and an f150 work truck?