Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2000, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Richard, <p>I have indeed done my homework and think that a Gravely would be a better machine for my business. I have had several people (online and locals) tell me about the problems they have had with their Exmarks. Sure it gives a great cut. How's it cut when it's in the shop for repairs? Not too good I'd assume. Meanwhile I have several friends in the business that have run their Gravelys into the ground, some with 7 years on them that have never needed any repairs. Also I have a Gravely dealer within 10 minutes of my two major cutting routes and the Exmark dealer is over 45 minutes away. Done my homework. Made my decision. Thanks for you input.<p>PS The Gravely does NOT come with the same 12.5 Kaw engine that the Exmark comes with. Its equiped with a 14 HP Kawasaki.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care
Old 06-11-2000, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GrassRoots Lawn Care wrote:<p>{Done my homework. Made my decision. Thanks for you input.<p>PS The Gravely does NOT come with the same 12.5 Kaw engine that the Exmark comes with. Its equiped with a 14 HP Kawasaki.}<p>I'm sorry, I thought you were soliciting advice with your statement: &quot;Maybe a Gravely?&quot;. Also, the Gravely 36&quot; comes standard with the 12.5 Kawasaki, the 14 is an upgrade. <p><br>
Old 06-11-2000, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a friend with a gravely 36 pro,it has a 12.5 Kohler command.it is 5 years old and never has had a wrench turned on it,other than blades and filters/oil.it is bulletproof-even fell off the trailer and didnt get hurt.I'd buy one in a minute if I had a residentials.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 06-11-2000, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I realize this response has nothing to do with the Exmark HP, but I noticed the thread got sidetracked to discussing the Gravely 36.<br>I am a homeowner with a large lawn and just put a downpayment on a Gravely PRO 150 with a 14hp Kawasaki and 36 inch deck. It was the best deal out there for a 36 gear drive in my area. Any comments on how satisfied you are with the cut quality? Bagging ability? Mulching? of the 36 inch Gravely. I am just looking for some assurance that I made the right move buying this machine. Thanks, Tim
Old 06-11-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

<p>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: Tim O<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Tim O
Old 06-12-2000, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, this will be my last word about Gravelys. I have one, a 50&quot; Pro 150. So far to date (the machine is a little over two years old) I have had these problems: Microswitchs for the safety in the handlebars went bad, left hand tension spring for the drive belts broke, both of the single sided caster yolks keep bending, the mower deck frame is bent, the shifter lever bolt keeps backing out and the caster yolks kept tightening up in the plastic bushing and eventually would not let the front wheels rotate making the machine difficult to turn. All of this might make you think that maybe I just got a bad machine but my buddy has an identical machine and he has had a lot of the same problems.
Old 06-12-2000, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Richard,<p>I can certainly understand why you do not like Gravely machines after the list of problems you have had with yours. Did the dealer offer an assistance with you problems?<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-12-2000, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just in case anyone cares. I an eXmark 36 belt drive that is over 10 years old (honda powered) and it is an awsome machine. Doesn't use a drop of oil and it stripes very well. It take plenty of use and abuse with out affecting the cut or any downtime. I will defintely upgrade when due to another eXmark woith the blink of an eye. Dealer support is awsome. With eXmark if you pay to overnight the parts needed for repairs and it does not ship, you get the part for free ( non warranty). Just a few thoughts from an eXmark only owner.
Old 06-12-2000, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mike (GrassRoots Lawn Care) wrote:<p>{I can certainly understand why you do not like Gravely machines after the list of problems you have had with yours. Did the dealer offer an assistance with you problems?)<p>Yes, he helped with every single one. But, it's like buying a alternator from Trak Auto that has a lifetime warranty. The warranty doesn't do you any good out in the middle of nowhere. I need machines that will perform flawlessly day-after-day. I take excellant care of my machines and I expect the machines to take care of me.