Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

JD SX 95 no start

My SX 95 12.5hp Kawasaki wont start. I was told that the battery was dead so I bought a new one. After installing the battery it would start but Would die as soon as I engaged the pto or put it in gear. I bypassed the safety seat switch and also the neutral switch on top of the transaxle with no luck. Now,It wont even kick over. The relay clicks when engaging the key and the starter is ok but wont even turn over...Any electrical guru's?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Was the battery fully charged when it was installed? Batterys deplete when they sit idle on the shelf. If it sat for a significant period of time it may run down sooner than one might expect.

Start by charging the battery. If the battery is charged see if you can turn the engine over by hand. Do so safely. Does the engine turn freely?

BTW, I'm looking for a carb for one of these. Got one by chance, or no of a provider other than john$deere?
Old 07-24-2004, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lead-acid battery will lose about 1% of its charge per day when stored at 75*F. Higher or lower temps will increase the lose. I got that from a Gates book on batteries. They make batteries for every thing from watches to space craft so they should know. That is why I keep all my batteries on automatic chargers. I even have one bolted under the hood of my car so I can plug it up when it gets cold. Believe it or not but I have learned that some people do not know you can recharge a mower or car battery whenit goes dead. Now back to the JD SX95. You said you by passed the saftey switches. I just hope you did not fry the coil in doing so. I have replace a great number of coils that got fryed when the saftey switches were bypassed and 12 volt got ran in the coil. As for the carb, jon_050, you should be able to get it from any Kawasaki dealer. Just tell him it is for something besides a JD. As soon as you say JD that is where he will send you
Old 07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jon_050
Was the battery fully charged when it was installed? Batterys deplete when they sit idle on the shelf. If it sat for a significant period of time it may run down sooner than one might expect.

Start by charging the battery. If the battery is charged see if you can turn the engine over by hand. Do so safely. Does the engine turn freely?

BTW, I'm looking for a carb for one of these. Got one by chance, or no of a provider other than john$deere?

Thanks for the suggestions. It turned out to be the pto switch and neutral safety switch... I dont have a carb but will keep my eyes open for ya.
Thanks, old rackety.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thankyou for your help, I appreciate it.
Old rackety