Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2004, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyway to raise CEC

Just got back my soil test results. My Cation Exchange Capacity is 8.6 which explains why I hve to fert every 4 or 5 weeks instead of 6 to 8 weeks. Is there anyway to raise the CEC of the soil other than bringing in new topsoil? Compost Topdress anything. Also PH is 5.7 which is very bad, time to throw away my PH tester (not the cheap one either) http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1703
Putting lime down to raise PH. Thanks

Norm

Last edited by hamsey; 07-26-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get it....why are you throwing away your pH tester?? Is the tester result much different from the soil test results? False readings?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

When I checked the PH it indicated 6.75. Excellent I thought I done have to lime. I checked in 4 different areas and they were all pretty close. I did not check the PH from the soil test I sent in so for now it will go on the shelf until I do another soil test next year and apply 85#/M of lime over 3 apps.

Norm
Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hamsey, Double or triple pass core aerating and topdressing with compost should help raise C.E.C. pretty quick. I'm not sure 8.5 is all that bad though. What is the soil type? How deep did you dig for your samples? There are fertilizers that will give 8 weeks release or more in low C.E.C. soils...I.B.D.U. being one. I'd send another sample for pH testing if I were you, but this time to Rittenhouse and see what they say. Does your tester need to be cleaned before each test? If it's a Kelway it does. I've gotten lab results all over the map before so always good to confirm findings (to quote Ronald Reagan, "trust but verify"). You for sure don't want to lime soil at 6.75 pH so it's best to check closer. Neal