Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2004, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Choosing a tractor

I've been considering buying a compact tractor or subcompact tractor for approx. 5 acres along with a small pasture. Initially I was looking at a subcompact Kubota. Either the 18 or 22hp. model. After looking at the B7500 I noticed that there was not that much difference in the prices between the BX2230 and the B7500. I'm on a budget and will probably have to look at buying a used one. I've looked at used ones with prices from $12,500-mmm, FEL to $9,250-tractor only. Are these fair prices-all are under 200 hrs. One more question, I know opinions will differ on this, but under how many hours do you consider low hours on a tractor such as this.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

200 hours is low hours.
Have you looked at Kioti tractors?(if you have a dealer around)
Kubota's are nice but they are pricey. Look around on the net,you will find many good quality tractors for less money that will serve your purposes well.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

May I make a suggestion? What about a ZTR like Ferris, exmark, etc. For that cash, you can buy a 61" or 72" ZTR that moves at 10mph,which would make short work of that 5 acres.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota B7800 which is a basically bigger version of the 7510. It has served my landscaping needs on my five acres great so far. I mowed our newly hydro-seeded lawn with the mmm yesterday and it worked pretty well but I'm sure the cut would have been better with a lawn tractor ot ztr or even a sub-compact tractor. I tried out a 7510 before purchasing the 7800 and it would have done everything as well, just a little slower. I probably didn't really need the 7800 but the wife said ok so I jumped on it. My point - make sure you size the tractor to what your main needs for it are going to be.

With that said, 200 hours seems pretty low to me. I've had mine for about four months and have a little over 100 hours on it. Price-wise, what you quoted are about what I could get a new B7510 for - maybe a couple hundred dollars less. I'm not sure what the supply/demand for tractors is where you live but I'd talk to the local dealers for a few different brands and get some quotes on a new B7510 and other comparable models if those are the best used prices you can get. It would be worth it for me to pay a couple extra hundred dollars for a little more peace of mind that you'd get with a new tractor. Tractors don't lose their value very quickly at all so sometimes there just isn't much of a price difference between a low hour used one and a new one. Hope this helps in your decision.

Matt