Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

This year is my first year starting out in the lawncare business as a owner/operator. I am wanting to be better than the competitors in the area by offering more services. I am wanting to get my license and I was wondering what it took to get it? Am I looking at a day, week, year? How much will I need to invest to be able to apply Fertilizer and pesticides? I am wanting to know this info to see if it is worth getting into. All info would be greatly appreciated. I am from South/Central Indiana. Is there good money to be made in fertilizer and pesticide spraying?

Levi Duncan
Lone Tree Lawn Care
Old 11-22-2000, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

DDA

I live in Delaware. I had to contact the department of agriculture. Your state might be different, but I'd start there.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 12-09-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

If you live close to Ohio I here it is much eases to get them their I have an Ohio and Indiana. It will cost you $120 and you need to take a test. After you get your Ohio lic. you can get you IN. gust by paying the fees for them no test. Call the Ohio Department of Agriculture

Old 12-13-2000, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Licensing

A goog place to start is your County extension office. They will usually have the testing material you will need and can administer the test. Qualifications and fees vary state to state. "Applying pesticides correctly" will more than likely be the bible for this test. It is published by the EPA. If you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me.
Old 12-18-2000, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

how do i get my license?

i think it is a darn shame thet pesticides are sold over the counter, and people who are not in the lawn care business can buy them and use them as recklessly as their ignorance allows, but we need to be licensed, and subject to inspections etc. i once knew a guy who dumped four gallons of roundup on his lawn cus he was tired of cutting it. anyway, u can call the d.e.p in your area for licensing info
Old 12-22-2000, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DuncanIN,

Contact the Indiana State Chemist Office at (765) 494-1492.

They can send you all the info. If you want ask to speak to Carl Rew. He is a very nice guy and he is in charge of the certification process.

Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2000, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Larry-

How was the test in OHIO. I've been signed up to take it 5 times and each time something has happened and stopped me from going to take it.
Old 01-03-2001, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greenskeeper,
The Ohio test is tricky if you haven't studied. Best to cover tha info you get for the test and especially safety info. There is a weed Id part as well, be concerned with leaf shapes and structures more than any color differences because the test part here is in Black and white. The core will cover the safety issues more, the actual turf test will test you on product info. and proper calibrating techniques. Hope this can be of help! Good Luck!

Levi
Contact the Dept of Agriculture for Indiana, but another good thing beofre that is to contact Purdue University, Distance Education Services, at 1-800-830-0269, let them know you are interested in the certificate program, "Turf Pest Management" they will set you up with study material that will give you almost everything you'll ever need to learn about turfgrass pest management. There is a cost, somewhere near $275.00 but if you're serious, it will be best investment for yourself and your future! Good Luck!