Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2004, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

A solution Maybe???

I am in my third season and bought all the equipment from a guy a little older and ready to retire. I spent about 3200 to buy the business and it came with 30 acct's so I pretty much have broke even at this point and decided to buy another tractor after using the Toro 620 38 " deck it was time to buy another more productive tractor and bought the John Deere 717A, My problem is that I now have added the weight of the JD to the trailer and the wheels are almost hitting the fenders and is unsafe! The trailer is your run of the mill standard 6 x 12 angle iron with 1/4 inch thick by 3 inch wide iron frame. I want to be able to haul the JD , Toro 38" and a 21" lawn boy not only do I not have the room, it is over weighted and looks to be around a 2" axle. My neighbor who also had his own business once upon a time told me to change the leaf springs to Multi Springs thus solving the weight issue? He suggested that I take off one of the old leaf springs and bring it with me so that they can line up the Old bolt holes to the New MULTI LEAF SPRINGS so that there isn't any drilling ETC. If I load the JD first I can put the Toro 38" ZTR sideways on the rear of the trailer but it's hard to do and it has to be done carefully because there is such little room needless to say I don't have any room for the 21" self propelled lawn boy, and I know I'll have to increase the overall length as well, what are these 2 inch axles rated at anyway? weight wise? I thought at about 2000LBS am I right? I will eventually buy an enclose trailer but have to accumulate a few more good acc'ts so I can pay for it, incidently anyone have a good used single axle enclosed trailer for sale in the central part of Florida on the nature Gulf coast side? Any info on doing this work to the trailer will be greatly apreciated, Thanks in advance - Joe
Jolin lawns plus ... Cuttin grass and Taken Names - In The Biz Going Into The Third Season And Lovin It! 87 ford 4.9, P.u.- customized 6x12 landscape single axle trailer - 95 proline 620 toro 42 inch deck. srm260 echo trimmer, stihl FC-85 edger, echo power pb-650. stihl HT-101 pole pruner.stihl HS 85 single sided 30" hedge trimmer. stihl chain saws and various small hand tools, pruners lopers etc. and growing.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm.... I think this is an easy one. GET A NEW TRAILER! Sell the one you got and Get a bigger one maby 7x14 or 7x16. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.