Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2001, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

does any one out there know of who makes a small (36"?) seed driller machine.i'm looking for a company who makes a machine that will actually put the seed in an individual hole/holes.i have heard some of the bigger lawn co.'s (chemlawn, etc.)have something that sounds like this(that i've lost the job to).i mean,i've seen/used slice/seeder/thatcher machines but some customers don't like the concept of just spreading seeds after thatching/aerating.they want guaranteed results.besides it would seem to help since they don't water properly anyway.and would cut down on the pounds of seed i use.anyone care to reply?
Old 01-04-2001, 09:02 AM

Closest thing I can think of would be a Ryan Mataway Overseeder. It drops the seed down through tubes into vertical slits in the soil.

[Edited by PLS on 01-04-2001 at 09:04 AM]
Old 01-04-2001, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I borrowed a Ryan Mattaway from another Golf course,that thing works great,in a week you have almost 100% germination,even on tough soil that wont hold seed.
Old 01-04-2001, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I know of a few but they are at least 48 inches wide. One that i know of is "Ryan" they make a walk behind renovater and seeder ,mabey like 26 inches wide or close to that. the seed drops into a slit make by the blades and then the other groomer pulls soil back over the slit to get seed soil contact. If seed is having seed to soil contact and stays moist it will grow without problems.

[Edited by tcsturf1 on 01-04-2001 at 11:05 AM]
Old 01-04-2001, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah,i know about those.i actually have one for sale.looking for a machine that puts the seed directly into a hole in the ground.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:49 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I haven't seen a seeder like that built yet, we use a landpride overseeder but it is tractor mounted. Ryan is the best small seeder made. The type of seeder your are talking about is like a planter for grains (corn, oats, ect) but they cut a furrow drop the seed and cover it. The other seeder we use is the Brillion seeder, it makes a furrow (1/4" to 1/2") drops the seed and covers it with the follow-up roller.