Register free!

Old 08-11-2004, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Bent Grass Removal

Looking for suggestions on selective bent grass removal. I have several older established lawns with bent grass infestations.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been told, but have no first hand experience, that fusilade will get some control over bentgrass in a cool season lawn with little damage to the cool season turf. However, I do beleive that K Bluegrass is on the label as a plant that is controlled with fusilade. So you'd be doing this with a definate risk involved!!

But I have talked with a reputable scaper from MD who has had success and I have talked with a golfcourse super-assistant that also claims he had success getting control over some bent grass on the lawn around the clubhouse.

IF it were me, I'd do a small test plot first.

Bentgrass can be a pain in the neck. We dont try to control it. If a homeowner is really frustrated by it we recommend that THEY use a non-selective on it and seed the areas.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bent is a major pain in the a#@ in my area.

We sell a round up and slice seed on many lawns , but it still creeps ( pun intended ) back in in a few years.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

We did a total kill and total renovation to a customer last year and the bent is already back. I guess you just don't guarrantee it. Thanks for your imput.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending upon the scale of the renovation wanted, have you ever thought of fumigating the soil then reseeding?
A granular fumigant, Basimid, works very well, requires an irrigation system or someone very dedicated on hand watering. This stuff works well.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Why does bent return? Can't completely kill it, or is their bent seed in your seed mix?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bentgrass has a strong stoloniferous growth habit. some also have strong rhizomes as well.

but the bent seed is very common in many seed blends.

good point
Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Need to use certified blue tag seed or gold tag
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 08-13-2004, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TSM said it. You can't kill it with just one ap of glyphosate. You have to wait a few weeks, and hit it again...sometimes even a third time. It's the same with certain other things like ground Ivy and some others.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glyphosate moves farther in stolons, rhizomes & vines than any other systemic herbicide. But the length of Bentgrass Stolons are relative to the height of cut & can easily be over 12-16" in 3" turfgrass lawns. So while we can get near 100% control of Bentgrass when it's mowed at 1/4" in a putting green or tee, in home lawns that are cut above an inch the stolons are too long for Roundup. If an unleafed node is located more than about 6 inches from a leaf (point of herbicide entry), then that node will survive treatment. Reinfestation by vegetative means is thus inevetibale.

We have options to shorten Stolon length.

1.) Buy & use a reel mower at less than 1/2" on the subject area for a few months. But if you're willing to do this, you might as well learn how to manage Bent as a lawn & get even more money for doing it.

2.) Sod cut & mechanically remove the entire area. wait for regrowth, then spray Roundup.

3.) Use the method we came up with in conjunction with Monsanto a few years ago.

a.) Rotary mow shorter but above scalp.
b.) Fertilize with about a pound of soluble N. Wait 2 weeks.
c.) Mow it weekly during the 2 week wait.
d.) Verticut in 2 directions with either a Ryan Renothin or a Lesco Renovator a half inch deeper than the deepest noticeable stolons. Other machines were found lacking in power to really dig.
e.) Wait another 2 weeks for the sectioned nodes to either foliate or die.
f.) Treat with Glyphosate & re-grass as usual.

This treatment dices the long stolons into small sections. Those sections with nodes are faced with having to leafout to live. Those sections of stolon that lack nodes won't leaf out & will die. Once in leaf, the window is open for Glyphosate to easily kill the now shorter than 6" section.

The idea here was to keep the turf at a major US Corp headquarters green for as long as possible during renovations to remove Bent. Otherwise repeated weekly Glyphosate treatments would have eventually worked as well.

4.) Basamid Soil Fumigant kills all life that is in soil & actively respiring at the time of treatment. Not for the feint of heart or constitution. Requires BASF credentials &/or assistance. This really is a one shot deal when it's done properly Y also controls insects, disease pathogens, & insects including Earthworms & other beneficial bacteriaq & fungi.

5.) Overseed with Perennial Ryegrass every year. The Rye tends to stand up the Bent which evens out the color & growth habit which improves mowing results.

Bayer is supposedly working on a selelctive Bentgrass erradicant for cool season turf. Personally I can't wait.

Revolver works well on warm season turf.

As a side thought; if you strart with a brand new relatively clean stand of cool season turf, you will never see significant Bentgrass contamination if you follow the old "Herbicide Heaven" program of years past. Just indiscriminantly apply 2 lbs pf Pre-M, and at least a quart each of Acclaim & any decent Amine based Threeway phenoxy herbicide per acre property line to property line twice a year whether it's needed or not.
Three such applications per year were even better. But most States now restrict 2,4-D blankets to twice a year now.