Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2004, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tough customer

Finished a job with a new customer. 4 out of control bushes need trimming bad. To make long story short. I estimated the job to take approx. 1 hour at a rate of $35 per man hour with 2 person crew. Plus, $30 disposal fee. Customer reviewed the estimate and signed, dated with time start. After 1 hour and 40 min. later the job was completed. I totaled the cost to be $116+$30=146 total. Customer said, no way I'm only paying you $100 because your estimate total is $100. I explained to him the estimate was showing $70 per hour and 1 hour would be $100. But, the job took longer than I estimated. After a few minutes of going over the estimate he finally wrote another check for $45 not $46. Customer said, here is you money are you happy now!. Out of no where another lady showed up and said I was trying to take advantage of him. Tough customers. The guy also commented in the background, I'll cancel those checks anyway. Man, once I hear him say that. I almost lost it. But, I stayed cool. I was thinking of dumping the brush in his driveway!. I'm going to this guys bank and cashing those checks as soon as the bank opens. I may not get the money. Any comments out there in regards to handling estimates/contracts with future customers?