Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2004, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Go on my own? How about 'several' different services?

New to this site, I love it (except for the bashing). What do you all think of this idea I have for getting started on my own. A little history first....corn fed white male in the midwest (Des Moines, IA), pushing 40, always wanted to be my own boss, but I've always worked for someone else (almost....keep reading). I got pretty darn good at landscaping during my college years (ohhhh, it's been a long time), and have developed a few other talents/hobbies along the way. Married 10yrs. with 2 young kids. The best way I can think of to quit my dayjob and go on my own would be to offer several services, the things I am good at, instead of just one. Seems to me, I'd never support my family doing just one of the 'things'. The 'things' are: Lawn care, snow removal, pruning...hauling....cleaning...etc. etc., as well as videography (I have done around 15-20 weddings on the side for last several years), a little Ebay, and some auto/boat/engine fixing/reselling. I sat down and wrote up a rough biz plan with very modest income estimates for each area, over a years time. Since I have some basic equipment for each area, I wouldn't have the strain of new equipment for each service. My wife works, making roughly 1/2 of our current income. Also, I feel comforted in that we have a $20k equity line on our mortgage. I took it out last year, just to have it, while it was cheap. What are the cons that you folks see with doing it this way? I thought I could at least feed the family this way and eventually figure out which combination, or single service is best for me. Also, I'm not sure legally how I'd go about this. To keep it simple, I'd like to use a very generic company name, like KS Services, and use a D.B.A. for each service (Creative Video Works for the videography, kurtstoyz.com or something for the car/truck/boat buy and sell, and something else for the lawn side of things. Can it be done simply like that? I would prefer to be a 'one man show' if I can possibly do it that way. TIA for any feedback, thoughts on the issue.
~Kurt
Old 08-20-2004, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi KurtisInIowa,

Congratulations on wanting to start your business. Try out as many things as you can and see what works best for you. Stick with those things that work best. This may sound generic but you have to experiment. Let us know how things are going as you move forward!

Remember you can make it happen!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck hope it works out for you.. BIG TIM A.F.M /any thing for money