Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2000, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Andrews,<p>your Kohler made it 75 hours ??? The one Kohler gave us to replace the 200 hour failure did not even get out of the freaking shop. We installed it and the mechanic pulled the cord, it started and promptly started knocking.<p>Kohler just wants me to haul it 50 miles to the big city so they can tell me one of their horse$hit excuses about what we did wrong.<p>List of Kohler dealer factory excuses :<p>You ran the engine at half throttle.<br>You ran the engine at full throttle.<br>Your mechanics did not install it right. (He's ASE certified.)<br>You ran it out of oil. ( No heat searing found on the main bearings, just a broken crankshaft)<br>You set the idle too high. ( Set at factory, never touched it)<br>You mowed on a side hill. ( None in our accounts).<br>The Easter bunny did't leave me any candy.<p>Kohler has to be the absolute worst about standing behind their products.<p>They say we abuse the products and attempt to tell me about basic engine construction and repair. No engine failures in our entire fleet in two years except for Kohler Commands single cylinder 13- 16 horse.Three failed in the last 6 months. Thats 15 engines in that range with 6 Kohlers and 3 failed. I'll just go back out to the garage and work on my drag car motor with my son. Thats a 500 hp engine, but I don' know my motors according to the dealer.
Old 08-01-2000, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I run mine at 3700 or so,unless its an area with thick grass or i really am jammin then Ill put it to the stop at 3820-40,I dont think the cut is any different on mine from 2500rpm's to 3800,it cuts just as good at 2500,as long as your not wide open.Dale,kohlers are junk-consider this a good lesson and buy Kawi's next time.This is my last Kohler too,I did get excellent warranty service though-even though with 70hrs I should never had needed it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 08-01-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

IF YOUR ENGINE IS AIR COOLED YOU MUST RUN IT AT FULL THROTTLE TO KEEP AS MUCH AIR FLOWING ACROSS YOUR ENGINE AS POSSIBLE..SLOWER ENGINE SPEED MEANS HIGHER TEMPS.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the blades are directly driven by the engine, the faster they turn, the better lift they will give. That helps give a more uniform cut. The only time I back mine down is if there's a good chance of something being thrown.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I instruct all my crews to run approx. half way up, engage blades the run to full. To disengage, we turn throttle down half way, then disengage. Also, we NEVER run full when engine is not under resistance such as when transporting to and from trailer. Sorry you guys had such bad luck on the Kohlers I've had nothing but great performance out of mine. One is a 20 hp Magnum, with about 1500 hrs. on it on a Gravely Promaster 300 tri rider and the other is a new Kohler with 26 hp and the fuel injection set up. That is on an Exmark Laser EPS. All other motors are Briggs and Kawasaki (Liquid cooled-- Lazer also).
Old 08-02-2000, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dale I'm with you all the way Kohler has the poorest Bullshi%% excuses and they stand behind their crap the same way. I had a 25HP that was the engine from hell, I sold the mower and 25 hours after the new owner had it the demons returned. I had to buy a Kohler 26EFI for my new Walker and the reason I did is the 2 year warranty and a good price on my old one. In the future the name Kubota WILL be on all of my major equipment because Kohler has a shitty business ethic. <br>It wont take too long for it to happen with these forums. You don't see any Tecumseas in big mowers do you?<br>
Old 08-03-2000, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

why do you think crafstman uses kohler!? POS
Old 08-03-2000, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The way I look at it is this, they make the throttle go all the way to the right for a reason, right?? If they didn't want you to run it wide open, they would have put the stop in closer!!! <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti