Register free!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizing

I mow about 20 yards now, and all of them ask me to fertilize at least 2-3 times a year it seems. So I was wondering how do you go about doing this. I Believe you have to be certified, and I was wondering how do you go about doing this. Second question is, how do you charge for this, and what is the cost of the fertilizers.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try this http://www.isco.purdue.edu/

You can apply all the granular fertilizer you want as long as it doesn't contain pesticides. You only need a fertilizer license when applying a tank mixed fertilizer.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

And the word "pesticide" includes weed&feed

Riding through life on the short bus.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

to get certified do you have to take a class and pass an exam or how does this all work.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

check with your state dept of agriculture or local agriculture extention they'll have all the info you need on licensing. but, yes, expect to take an exam.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To be a certified pesticide applicator in Indiana you must do one of the following: work under someone else's license for 90 days, get a two year ag degree of some sort, maintain a similar license of some kind for one year or take a two day training program at Purdue. If you do one of those, you will be eligible to take your tests (core exam & category 3b). You don't need a license to apply strictly granular fertilizer. It is a good idea however to go ahead and get your license and offer more services to your customer. I took the two day training at Purdue for $265.00 and then took my tests. You can either take your test along with a day long study class for $100.00 a piece or just study on your own and take them for $50.00 each. Use the link I provided you in my earlier post and it'll tell you all you need. Hope that helped.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank You So Much!! On the other side of this how do you guys price this stuff for residential. Lets say for just a simple weed and feed. Sorry about all this i am a new one, but thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Top of the thread list is a sticky posted by Groundskper. Click on it and then your state. Groundskper has made it very easy to find the answers you want to any State. BTW he is in Ind. so you might want to pay attention to his posts. He knows his stuff.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.