Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2001, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I own a 1996 Dodge ram 1500 with a 318, The prolbem i have is cold weather starting,when i start it in the morning,and the temepetureis below freezing,it starts fine. The idle is running high when i let it run for a few minutes,then tap the gas again,it still runs at a fast idle even after temp is up to 200 ,and freeway speeds. This did not happen last winter? Could it be a temp sending unit? It is EFI ,I also lubed the throttle cable ,the engine has 41,000 miles on it if this helps,i know its out of warranty now. Before I take it to the dealer for inspection and repair has anyone had similar trouble? thank-you in advance for you much needed help and information, thanks again, -scott
Old 01-06-2001, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The idle control solenoid (located on the TB, it contacts the bell crank at idle) is probably toast. Or else you put the air cleaner housing on wrong last time you changed the filter, and part of it isnt letting the bellcrank go all the way back to contact the idle solenoid.
Old 01-06-2001, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

cold starting

Thank you -Lawnguy,I will pick up a idle control solenoid from my dealer,I appreciate you information and help.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"the engine has 41,000 miles on it if this helps,i know its out of warranty now."

Depending on when the truck was first put into service, that repair may be covered under the 5/50 emissions warranty.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

My engine prolben is repaired,as i posted before the prolbems i was having,yesterday ,just traveling down the street a four lane roadway,my accelerator pedel stuck to the floor wide-open,it scarred the %$#@$#%^ out of me,I applyed both feet to the brakes, as hard as i could,thank god no one was in front of me ,I then made a sharp turn down a side street,put the shift lever to N ,the engine was running wide open at this time ,placed the parking brake on ,opened up the hood ,and discovered the throttle cable stuck wide open,pressed it to the return position,closed the hood ,sat in the truck and said a little prayer.After composing my self, I then slowly drove to my nearest dodge dealer for immediate, much needed repairs.The daaler looked a it right away.Thay said the throttle body stuck,and i told the to replace it ,not repair it. I ,picked up the truck the next day, and it runs great.total bill $345.00.To me worth every penny,I cant take any chances with my saftey or my familys,My wife who is due january 26,2001 is happy also. Thank you for you information on my truck prolbem, you allhave been very helpfull. Thanks again , Scott & Gigi Hoover and new baby .