Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Add a percentage extra to fertilizer needed?

When measuring out a new property for fertilizer application do you usually add a percentage extra for complete coverage. Say you measure a property at 10000 square feet, would you add 10% to that to ensure you applied fertilizer to all of property? Or maybe add a larger percentage. Currently I add about 5% to the area, but I'm afraid i'm not accounting for turns and for overlap on coverage.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you calculate your spreader properly, you should know how much fertilizer you're using / area covered on a regular basis, then know if you're skipping areas or not.

If you just tack on 10% or whatever to your area measured, how do you still know you're covering the whole area?

Even by your original statement, you say you're afraid you may not be accounting for turns and overlap. If your spreader was calibrated properly, and you followed the directions on the bag to get the desired amount of N, or whatever other chemical you wanted, ie 1 lb / 1000 sq ft, then if you had 10000 sq ft and used 7 lbs, either you're spreading too thin, or you're missing areas.

If you used 50 lbs on that 10000 sq ft, then you probably didn't miss to much on your turns and I hope to God you don't mow that yard too. Now you're looking at a Chem-Lawn yard for mowing.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not an exact science. Just make sure you stay under the recommended amount for square footage, especially if you mow it yourself.

Cleancut, you're putting a lot more thought into it than you have to.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

always plan on extra. I use a third hole kit and aa edging attatchment but you will still throw fert onto sidewalks and into parking lots. The rate on the bag dosen't account for that.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Grazerz, do you add a set amount extra? 5% 10% or just depend on the application site?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the property is 10000 ft2 then that is how much to use. not 11000 worth or 9000 worth. IF you are off then you need to change spreader settings. The only things we add into the size is street walks and small mulch beds. You are gonna get fert on these no matter what and they don't make up that much area. We just measure like they were not even there. We do not include drives, large beds etc.
Hope that is somewhat in the direction of what you are looking at.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it on a pallet bases. Like for every 40 bags I figure about 2 as over spray. Its really not that critical. We do some propertys where you can waste a fair amount no matter what you do. You will get a feel for it with a littl practice.
I don't think that cleancutccl was saying that he would put down extra, just trying to account for the over spray.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

at the end of each day our lawn techs add up how much sq ft they applied fert to. then multiply that number by the pounds of product that should have been applied. anything within 10% is acceptable (10% heavy or 10% light is a good day of appling fert)