Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a good deal on an Isuzu truck??

I found two truck for sale. What do you think?

1994 Isuzu 18ft enclosed box, diesel, 121k, automatic, $5500

1995 Isuzu 12ft box, 350 gas, 95k, auto $5000, little better condition than above

I have heard bad things about the earlier automatic trannies. Is there any truth to this? What would be the mileage on the gas truck? Sounds like the diesels get about 12mpg. I have also heard the diesel truck don't have any power. Any truth to that? Do these sound like a good deal?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They sound like awesome deals to me. I have a 1995 with the 135HP diesel, that prob has 150,000 miles and a 1998 with the 350 that has about 50,000 miles. I have had no transmission problems with either truck, and I think that the diesel has sufficient power. The problems we have encountered with the diesel are the harmonic balancer, the water pump, and front rotors have had to be replaced. Not bad considering I bought the truck with over 120,000 miles on it and use it daily. I think the 1994 may be the old body style and am not sure if there are any other differences in the truck,.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is the difference in power b/t the gas and the diesel? What mpg are you getting w/ the gas?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am unsure of the actual differnce in power but I can tell you the gas is faster, especially off the line. The diesel has plenty of power but is not as fast, we often haul a John Deere4310 tractor w/ loader and box blade on the diesel and can barely tell its on there. I do not know the type of mileage either truck gets (9-15mpg) would be my guess with the gas getting 8-9 and the diesel getting 12-15. I am a fan of the diesel myself.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems cheap to me.

Let me know which one you get,I may want to look at the other one.

Either one would be a good truck, but for me a 18ft box is a tad big. I would get the gasser myself.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I search someone said after 120k the older autos are going to need to be rebuilt. Any truth to that?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not able to answer that last question but just want to pass on a small anticdote here.
This spring i looked at every one in town. (used isuzu's that is) Every one of them i took for a test drive and went straight to the mech. i use all of the time. You see, i am mechanically challenged. (severly) Out of 15 i had one that was fair. Every one of the rest was ready to die, catch fire, blow up, or commit suicide. Some of them looked great. Heck, the worst ones had the highest price tags.

I have been told that you shouldnt get anything with less than 175 hp. I think the rest is rather gutless, but i guess that would depend on what you are hauling. Again, i dont own one, i am just passing on what i heard from others.

Get them both checked out mechanically. Look for blowout behind the cap from the radiator overflow. THat was a big one here, but i dont remember the rest of the issues. GL, let us know what you decide
Old 09-24-2004, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Both trucks examine the cab for rust its one of the biggest problems with the COEs is rust. If the cab is starting to rust out walk away because there is nothing you can do about it. A guy I know his cab on his GMC W-5000 litterally rusted off the.

The other problem is the rear spring bushings check them too if they are well worn you may want to walk away too.

As for gas or diesel if your looking for something that is going to be economical on fuel naturally the diesel will be it but it will be a turtle on the road. If your looking for more power the 350 gas would be the answer but the engine will be always screaming because of the low axle gears those trucks use. You will probably only get 8mpg at the most with the gas which might be alright if you do nothing but short trips. The other benefit of the gas is its quiet the those little inline Isuzu diesels are pretty clattery.