Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Type of Grass ?

Without knowing by just looking at a lawn from experience (which I don't have), how do you determine which type of grass is growing in a lawn? I've read up some on types of grasses common to my state of NC, and seen pictures, which look very much alike in some ways. I think even if I had the pics in my hand and went randomly around trying to identify someones lawn grass, I'm not sure I could. Would getting a soil sample at your local agriculture department be the ones that could tell you when you take some of the grass in with your sample maybe? Just curious since this seems important to know if you get a customers lawn to take care of through the year with full maintenance of watering, fertilizing, seeding bare spots maybe, mowing height recommendations, etc.... Thanks for helping the dummy out here.

Have a great fall season!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

www.lawngrasses.com

Pride Lawn Care
Taking Pride In Attention To Detail
Old 09-23-2004, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You really don't know the different types of grasses? I can understand to an extent, but wow! One of the best things you can do, is go to the local extension office, they should have some different types of grass. Basically read up and look for what you are reading about. You should be able to identify a grass by how it grows, if it spreads or not, and what it looks like. Another way is to ask people you know, what kind of grass is this? Ask your neighbors your relatives, so on and so forth. I am not from that area, but there should be a few basic types of grass that grow in that area. We have Fescue, Bermuda, and a little Zoysia.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you take a sample to the local extension office or the local nursery, they should be able to tell you. Another thing, if you own some land, you could go to the local nursery, get a few different varieties and try growing them. You could see how they came in, how they mature and so on. Grow them in 3'x5' strips. That would be a great way to learn, and would make a neat science project for a kid.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-23-2004, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I know, I'm just new and you are right there are about 3 major types around here it appears. Bermuda, the Zoysia, and I believe some Centipede, but not for sure on that one. I need to do more homework. I did go by a local lawn and garden shop today that sells lawn equipment and they said I could also bring in sample there to get it identified if I wanted to. Nice people. Good suggestion on the growing of some too, maybe I'll try that. My lawn sure has some bad areas that could easily be replaced with something better.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I applaud you for making a solid effort to try and figure out the medium you are working with. Some people just think that mowing yards is just mowing yards. Customers expect alot more than that, they are paying you, and they want you to know what you are talking about. They want to know how to make their yard the best on the block. If you go in and overseed a bermuda lawn with fescue, you are going to have some irrate customers! Good luck!

-Theodore Roosevelt