Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2004, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecraver
Code of the real world

Im thankful I don't live in that world

Coffeecraver

The Nursery business has a totally different attitude than the Maintenance business. If Your competitor is better than you in the Nursery business, he is respected. In maintenance he is called an Idiot.

Now the reason for this attitude difference is Nursery people sell to each other or the same customers and face the same disease problems. They also tend to be better educated in horticulture.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whether your talking retail or grower your a bunch a cut throat business men out to make there money! Oh if a certain disease hits a certain variety of plants you might get together and discuss a way to stop its spread or more than likely if one of you so called Nurserymen finds the cure he might just keep it a secret till he's made his money off the others suffering. And the attitude for this is the same attitude that drives all business, its the almighty dollar! Sorry Guys I don't buy the self serving attitude I know to many growers and distributors and there all in it for the money!

Mac
Old 09-25-2004, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Whether your talking retail or grower your a bunch a cut throat business men out to make there money! Oh if a certain disease hits a certain variety of plants you might get together and discuss a way to stop its spread or more than likely if one of you so called Nurserymen finds the cure he might just keep it a secret till he's made his money off the others suffering. And the attitude for this is the same attitude that drives all business, its the almighty dollar! Sorry Guys I don't buy the self serving attitude I know to many growers and distributors and there all in it for the money!

Mac

olderthandirt

Business is Business, But the difference is Nurserymen and Growers don't start out with a Station wagon and a Murry "21". Nor does their competition.

Sorry you feel that way, Yes there are cut throats in every business. Men are worst gossips than women ever were.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 09-25-2004, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
olderthandirt

Business is Business, But the difference is Nurserymen and Growers don't start out with a Station wagon and a Murry "21". Nor does their competition.

Sorry you feel that way, Yes there are cut throats in every business. Men are worst gossips than women ever were.
Ric, I understand your point now. But not all of us are 20 yrs old and been in business for 8 of those. I never started with a station wagon and a 21" Murray
and I don't consider anyone that does as my competition. But I do know that it takes capital to run a business and giving away secrets that took yrs to discover will not leave you with alot of it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mac
Old 09-25-2004, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ric, I understand your point now. But not all of us are 20 yrs old and been in business for 8 of those. I never started with a station wagon and a 21" Murray
and I don't consider anyone that does as my competition. But I do know that it takes capital to run a business and giving away secrets that took yrs to discover will not leave you with alot of it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mac

olderthandirt

Sure, I have given out plenty of Information on this forum over the years. But I only tell what everyone should already Know. I don't tell all and That what we call Proprietary information. Education Costs why give it away.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh if a certain disease hits a certain variety of plants you might get together and discuss a way to stop its spread or more than likely if one of you so called Nurserymen finds the cure he might just keep it a secret till he's made his money off the others suffering.
This is the same as all other professions

Quote:
Sure, I have given out plenty of Information on this forum over the years. But I only tell what everyone should already Know. I don't tell all and That what we call Proprietary information. Education Costs why give it away.
That was my whole point so how come you feel

Quote:
The Nursery business has a totally different attitude than the Maintenance business. If Your competitor is better than you in the Nursery business, he is respected. In maintenance he is called an Idiot.

Now the reason for this attitude difference is Nursery people sell to each other or the same customers and face the same disease problems. They also tend to be better educated in horticulture.
Today 05:28 AM
It sounds as if you have no respect for anyone in the maintenace side of the business and feel that only "nursery men" have the awnsers.

Mac
Old 09-25-2004, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It sounds as if you have no respect for anyone in the maintenace side of the business and feel that only "nursery men" have the awnsers.

Mac
Mac

Don't put words in my mouth. I started in this business with a 12 hp 38" crapsman just like many others on this site did. I was retired and working for pin money. But a wonderful divorce gave the Finical ability to go back to work for the rest of my life.

In 1996 I decided to start taking some course at the local Voc-Tec. By 2002 I had a college degree in Horticulture. Check my profile I was 62 years old when I got that degree. If I can do it anyone can do it.

Now working with plants everyday and trying to grow them is an education in itself. Nursery grower will know more about certain plants than maintenance people. By the same token Maintenance people will have insight on certain plants that Nursery Grower don't.

There is too Much out there to learn about this business to dis-respect anyone working Intelligently in this industry has to offer.

What I dis-respect is the guy that knows every part number on his mower but not the name of the grass he is cutting. I also Dis-respect those who have no desire to learn the industry.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ric you are a wise man that speaks the truth. I apologize if you thought I was putting words in your mouth but I felt that you were trying to disrepect the other operations of the green industry. Lets just leave it as mutual respect

Mac
Old 09-25-2004, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mac

We both have been around this and other forums to long to get bend out of shape over a few words.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilizing is a significant profit center of the maintenance area. It can also be a significant source of your reputation; your knowledge and skill about what to apply and when to apply.

I see no point in giving away profits as revenge.

And I see no point in doing anything less than conducting business in an honorable and ethical manner. It takes time to build up a reputation. Why jeopardize your hard earned reputation on one customer that you just didn't see eye to eye with?