Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How good will these work with leaves?

Looking to get the large 6.2 cu ft. i don't have a truck loader so i'm just wondering if this will work on 1 acre properties. Will it hold a lot of leaves mulched? I have an Exmark TTHP 48" I got a price of $419 from a dealer.

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 10-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Sponsor

Pretty good price from the dealer (list is $459.00). I would reccomend that you go over the leaves with the mower once and chop everything up before you put the catcher on (if the leaves are deep). The catcher is very well vented so you should be able to pack it tight. Check out the pics from John Gamba on the post right below and you will see that even the extender fills quite well when it is attached to the exmark. List price on the XLextender is $275.00. Also, there are a couple of threads comparing the catcher to a vac system you might want to check out. You will find the catcher is a bit less in capacity but a lot less in cost than a vac system. It is also really quick to dump.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410
Old 10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i will check out those threads. One of my main concerns is how fast it will fill up. I've been out of the bussiness for about 2 years and forgot whats it's like here in CT with leaves. I can count on a lawn covered 4+ inches with leaves. I have a 13hp blower but that thing makes some huge piles fast and i find it's a lot of back and forth with the blower/tarp method.

I was also think leaf plow but with out a truck loader or even sides built on my truck i won't be able to haul the leaves away so thats why i was considering your product but I've never mulched leaves before and don't know how small they can get which in turn will show me how much the catcher will hold.

I want to know if i'll have to empty it out ever 20 feet or every 100 etc. Do you have any proven mathmatical equivalents like for example " on average, leaves 4" high with mulching blades you should be able to go 100 feet before emptying"? I've never used a bagger either.. LoL

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Sponsor

Playboy,
About the best I can do is tell you that you will fill a tarp (6 by 8) pretty full with 2 catchers. To give an accurate calculation of square footage covered I would need to know how thick on average the leaves are on the lawn after a single cut. I would estimate that a 4 inch high leaf cover would be reduced to around 1 inch on a single pass (most of the leaf area is airspace) which would give you about 20 feet before the bagger is full (the capacity of the 6.2 bagger is about 10,700 cubic inches). You would get a much better result with a "pre cut" pass on the leaves to increase the compaction factor and allow small pieces to fall back into the lawn. I would estimate 40-60 feet. You could also use our leaf extender which adds about 80% to the capacity. I hope this is helpful, maybe some of the other guys who have had experience in your area could give some input. I know that with an extender and precut you can get pretty close the the capacity of a dedicated vac system.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410