Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2004, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydave
As far as democrats raising taxes, I will be more than happy to pay my share today versus, getting $65.00 dollars a year that Bush gives me and leave billions of dollars in a hole, and my children and grand children are born in a hole to pay back. You tell me what is $65.00 dollars is to me? Nothing..Nada...He claims I could have a down payment on the washer and dryer and that is all, a down payment not a whole price. Yet Bush and his administration could spend billions of dollars ($200 billion if not more) for Iraq ($250 billion on Afganistan) for his own OIL FIELDS and for Chaney to grow his personal companies, and for his administration interest. Bush and his administration is really poor, so what the poor folks of the U.S. of America have to say. We are the poor ones and we continue to pay the high cost of Republicans.
Sorry, chevydave......I'd rather live with Bush in office than have a liberal communist like JANE Kerry in the white house. If he wins, Life is over as we know it......I would rather have Ralph Nader there than Kerry......Let stick with the lawn care biz. Leave Politics out of this one.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

always keep you blades very sharp. dull blades can damage the grass due to tearing the leaf blades
make sure you have plenty of gas before you start a job, there is nothing worse when your customer is sitting on their front porch and your mower runs out of gas and you have to leave it in their yard to make a quicl trip to the gas station.
wear long pants when you weed eat, or count on keeping tweezers to pick rocks or glass out of your legs
Old 11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep current with local ordinances regarding LS. Cops just love to pull landscapers over. Make sure all your paperwork is in order.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Spread the love

All,
I've been mowing for 6 years and have incorporated all the previous postings' advice. You learn quickly from errors and downtime.

My piece of advice is more philosophical. I make a point to introduce myself to all the neighbors of my customer(s). I don't knock on doors, I just go up and talk to them when I see them, and this is after I have already given them a wave and a smile in previous weeks.

I introduce myself.. Hi, I'm Pat. I cut for Betty over there. I'm here every Thursday, if there is anything I can do for you just let me know. (Hand them a card, 1000 plain cards at Office Depot is about $12-$13) Then I chew that fat for about 1 - 2 minutes, thank them for their time and excuse myself.

This shows them that you are friendly and efficient. I get SO DARN MANY jobs this way. Many times they cut their own but like the way I trim/edge so I'll hit their sidewalks every two weeks, takes me 5 minutes and I charge 'em $5 per trim and get $10 from them once a month. Then... the other neighbors see you cutting and trimming two of the neighbors and they start looking at your work and thinking...

If it's 105 degrees outside and I see a lady cutting her grass I go over straight away and ask her if I can cut her grass for free. I get the usual guff but they ALWAYS let me. They try to pay me but I'll tell them they can buy me a soda some day, they will be a future customer and they WILL tell all their friends about you for a week!!!

That's only 1 of 100 things I do that only help me. If you want to grow your business always think how others perceive you, perception is reality.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Point, Pat..

The guys that do my place started out the same way. I'd mow, they trim every couple of weeks or so for $10. Now they do it all for me and the new lady across the street.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I Try...

I TRY to treat my customers like I want to be treated.!.! I think I have read that somewhere before! LOL
Old 01-13-2005, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make a note of how you feel while doing a job that you know you under bid on. And do the same for a job that you bid a good price on. That little reminder will go a long way in helping you not to give awayyour work too cheaply.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tips

Make sure the neighbors aren't looking when you pee in your customers bushes.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Insurance cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR
Currently I am licensed but not insured. How do I obtain insurance and how much might I expect it to cost? I run a two man operation for lawn and landscaping.
My insurance this year to cover two trucks ( a 2004 f250 supercab, and a 98 silverado 3500 supercab) with a million dollars per incident, two million limit), a marine policy covering all of my equipment (approx. $12,000), snow removal coverage, $5,000 dollars coverage on misc. equipment, and the 1,000,000 liability is costing me about $3,300.00 for the year.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Tips

Don't get overwhelmed stay positive you can end up making yourself, your employee's, and your family life more productive getting more done in less time.

Take the time to makes lists, it sounds like it may take too much time, but you'll be amazed what you can do when you set goals.

Let everyone know what is going on communication is the key to creating mutual understanding

Pay attention and listen not just hear the people you interact with

Have Fun

Well although it may be impossible to not let low ballers bother you just don't show it to your customers. Look at them and laugh, but don't be too cocky the bottom feeders may have some good ideas. Low ballers will always be there, well not the same one but another,another,and another...

Lube everything, it makes things work easier, burring less energy, and you can go longer, harder, and faster then without it.

Safety never takes a Holiday

...Get Educated it pays