Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2004, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
How exactly do you tie it in with the pcv, and where do you get your materials?
I use a Fernco - Proflex model ( 3001- 43 or 3001- 44 ), depending on downspout size ( I use either 3 or 4" copper pipe ). I get them at a local plumbing supply just call arround, you may have to order them but a larger PS should have them in stock. I pay around $ 8.00 ea. for them. make sure you get the 3001 series ( plastic to Copper ). I use a 4" street 90, then tie that into the copper with the Fernco.

BTW,
They make a special lube to help slide the Fernco over the pipe, I highly recomend using it.

Best of luck,
Active

Last edited by activelandscaping; 11-24-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Active, more answers & opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by activelandscaping
Elmos,
That's a great job. I have had difficulty grafting MS without at least one of the stems swelling, even more so in dwarf stock/cultivars. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions I had, from a practical perspective?

I was wondering if you could tell me the parent root stock you used? What was the graft age vs. root stock age? I would guess this is a 6-9 year tree? Is the growth rate faster on MS than single stem grafts?

What was the age at last transplant, and what root pruning method did you use ( if any ) prior to transplant?I also noticed that there is almost no sign of crossed branching or visible wear damage on the bark. How much time did you spend on pruning?

Sorry about all the questions, but I have 50 grafted single main-stem cultivars, ranging from 1 to 4 years.

There are very few farms in this area ( mid-west really ), that grow Acer p. dissectum, Pieris japonicum or Kalmia latifolia. I prefer stock grown in local conditions, especially specimen plantings, and was hoping you might give me a few tips when it comes to grafting and rootstock preferences for any of the above.

BTW,
Is 'Tamuke yama' one word or two?

Thanks.

Regards,
Active
I went over my alloted time to edit my post #40, so here is my final edit of most of the text in that post. The pics are up there.
"Active, 'Tamuke yama', two words. Root stock was Acer palmatum. Many that I grafted on this occasion were var. atropurpureum or somewhat so. The age of the under stock was probably about 3-4 years, most were well branched, 1g. The under stock appeared to be of local origin. I don't think a single graft will necessarily grow any faster than a multiple grafted plant. If any thing, the additional foliage on additional trunks and branches may actually encourage more rapid growth as there is more food manufacturing, photosynthesis. I don't remember the specifics of transplants but it was held too long in a gallon and may have been transplanted into a 3g before being planted in the ground. It remained in a container until planted in the ground in 1998. It was transplanted to it's current site in about 2000 and I estimate it's height at about 24" to 30" at that time. It is now about 9' across and 4' 2" tall. No pruning to speak of and no intentional root pruning aside from the planting and transplanting. After the last transplanting I did install a branch separator for about a year. I felt that the largest two stems were too close. It worked just fine. You can't edit these posts, can you? The pictures that I previously posted were made in January and April, 2003."
Old 11-26-2004, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I can't get this picture deal right. Who can help me get pictures on here from My Pictures

Last edited by MarcusLndscp; 11-26-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Great looking work everyone. Here is an armour stone wall that my brother and I did last year. Each block weights about 2000 lbs. The wall is about 55' long.
Attached Images

Last edited by dylan; 11-27-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:42 PM

How about some hydroseeding?
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2004, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a job we did earlier this year. 6.5' tall columns with one that was split to accomodate a motorized gate. We built and installed the gate and fencing along w/ the stonework,hydroseeding, the driveway and also did all the site work. Plantings was by others
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2004, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another wall, sign and plantings we installed
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2004, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A job we did this summer. Design and install by us, including a rock that was drilled to be a fountain, the stonework, plantings and some of the heated pavers.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2004, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a couple more after....will post more of other work later
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2004, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Marcus-

Very impressive work. I don't do much stone, so I find that particularly impressive.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"