Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Full-size trucks are expensive up here aren't they Adam? $30,000+ for a bare-bones 3/4 ton 4x4. Them Yanks don't know how good they've got it. <p>Had a Nissan, 5 speed, 2wd, reg. cab. Loved it, but outgrew it. Awesome on gas, and can pull your equipment no problem. <p>They're hard to find, but try to get a used 3/4 ton 4x4 you can plow with, as long as you've got a mechanic you can trust - you won't be disappointed. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
Old 05-28-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Adam, I owned a 97 Tacoma.Ran great, but a five by ten open trailor with a Grasshopper made it feel unstable on the highway. I now have a 97 S-10. Major difference in ability to pull. However,at 85000 the transmission has begun to not go into lockup about half of the time. I guess thats not so bad considering it's pulled a trailor most of those miles. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale
Old 05-28-2000, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

if you ask me the only time a small truck should be on a job site is if it is a formans truck just for estimates and running around doesnt matter if it is chevy ford or toyota
Old 05-29-2000, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't already have the trailer, you could get a mid 80's chevy 1/2 ton truck & put it all in the bed. A 6 cyl. engine will give decent mileage & plenty of pep.<br>I started out with an 85 Toyota 2wd & pulled a loaded 4x10 trailer with it too; ran great. If you pull a trailer with it, try to get an auto matic!!! The extra wgt. is hard on the clutch, esp. in stop-n-go traffic; my clutch went after the 2nd year of pulling a trailer. But toyotas rule the small truck world!!!!!<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 05-29-2000, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

&gt;Full-size trucks are expensive up here aren't they Adam? $30,000+ for a bare-bones 3/4 ton 4x4. Them Yanks don't know how good they've got it. <p>Thats around 20k for those &quot;down south&quot;. Thats cheap. I paid 23k (invoice) for my bare bones 3/4 ton 4x4 back in 94.<p>Take your hard earned loonies across the border and get your moneys worth, then stop at Napa and pop in your DRL module (+50). even at current exchange rate you will have some left for a new mower trimmer and trailer.<p>Bill
Old 05-29-2000, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys guys!<p>Most people either liked the toyota or s10.I think I may try to pick up an s10.I am a toyota man all the way,but toyota's sell for twice the price of an s10 up here.They are in demand.I own a ford F-150 now and it has been great,but it sucks gas like crazy!And it is a 4.9 six cyl!I think I will look for either a 4 or small 6 cyl.Anyone else have any input? <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-29-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 99 sonoma with 4 cyl, 2wd. I can't say i would use it daily for towing.<br>I've got 33k on it already, and the springs are already sagging in the back (did a few mulch jobs, 1 yd in back with the bumper just about dragging) put a hurting on it. I really can't see using if every day. I ended up buying a older 90 dodge rack body dump for 3k and use that for my hauling. <p>The sonoma is holding up good, but I just don't think it has the strength to use as a 'work' truck every day. I would try to get at least a 150 if I were pulling a trailer.<p>steveair<p>PS. Also, just got a letter from GM last week and they are having a recall on trucks for 'faulty' plug wires.
Old 05-29-2000, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 1993 GMC S15. 120,000 miles and still going strong. Been plowing and towing it with the whole life of the vehicle and have never had any tranny problems or major engine problems. If you can try and get a 92 or 93 as these are old body style but have the 200 HP vortech engine, plenty of power.
Old 05-30-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adam. The Toyota mentioned above got 20 mpg pulling a 2000lb load. My S-10 gets 15.5 pulling the same load. V6 is the only good choice for a Chevy or a Ford. Most of the power in a 4.3 Chevy is developed at a fairly low rpm. Toyota has a V6 but it is a high rever. I'd like to see somebody put a diesel in a small truck.<p><p> <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale