Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2000, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

We are in the market for new shrub trimmers,who do you think makes the best ?
Old 05-26-2000, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't profess to know the best, but I use an echo 1500. it has been dependable and gives a good cut. bought it used for $50 and made more than that on my first shrub job. man!--I love being in the GREEN!<p>GEO
Old 05-26-2000, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you have the arms to work them, a Stihl hs-86 will cut anything in it's path, & you can rotate the handle in 3 positions to give you precision & better leverage too.<br>They go for about 400 smackers, but it's an investment well worth it-you MUST try them to believe it.<br>Only bad thing is after I got mine is that they are almost TOO big for alot of normal to smaller trim work, so it'd be good to have a smaller set for the little stuff.<br>Anybody who has used a pair will agree; they'll turn you into Popeye after a day of trimming <br>Be sure & demo them before you make your purchase.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 05-26-2000, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

REd Max!!!<p>Get it at www.alamia.com<br>godd prices.
Old 05-26-2000, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm just a consumer, but have lots of hedges to maintain, including some 200 feet of redtips. I've burned out two electric hedgers and recently bought a Stihl HS-80 since it was the biggest thing I could find.<br>Yes, it's heavy. But it cleanly cuts anything it gets near. Engine starts and runs great. I searched this forum and gardenweb and although others are recommended, nobody seemed to have anything negative to say about Stihl hedge trimmers.
Old 05-29-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husquvarna 225H60 Hedge Trimmer. Lots of power and cuts the tougher stuff like spreia bushes and barbberry bushes. Has 24&quot; double cutting blade w/ swivel handle for trimming in diferent directions. Cost $379.00 but as like anything else you pay more for good commerical equipment. Hope this helps. Mowman
Old 05-30-2000, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a stihl hedge trimmer attachment for my FS-85. It is great. the engine (25.4 cc) is bigger than any other hedge trimmer i have seen. power is not an issue at all. I have great reach because the head is so far away, it can also angle up to 90 degrees. It is awkwardly balanced though, if i use it much, i'll get big forearms. it was $200, +300 for the trimmer. It is probably safer too, i doubt i could cut off a finger with it, and if i drop it, it will be well away from me.
Old 05-30-2000, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't really recommend a good hedge clipper but can steer you away from a bad one. We have been using an old Echo with great results so we decided to buy another Echo to replace it, bad decision. Have had nother but trouble with it since we bought and very bad service trying to fix/replace it. Just my .02<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 05-30-2000, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ smitty on the stihl's. They are an excellent product, but you do have to carry the spinach w/ you. I still wouldn't trade them for any other brand though.<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers