Register free!

Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

pond help

Hello, I need some help regarding a fish pond. I recently bought a new house with a large fish pond. It is about 10-12 feet diameter with a "creek" feeding into it which is about 20 feet long. The depth of the main pool is at least 4 feet deep. There are 7 koi fish in the pond in the 7-10 inch range. My questions are in the maintenance area. There is a large pump motor which runs 24/7. I'm not sure but I would guess its 3/4-1hp range. Can I get by with running the pump any less than all the time? How often should the filter be cleaned? The filter looks like the same type used in swimming pools which have a back-wash...Any advice would be helpful. The funny thing is that there is a pond store about 1/4 mile from me but they closed for the season right before we closed on this house.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a number of factors to consider. Since koi ponds require more care and attention than a pond without fish, you certainly should get some reading material on the subject. And, be sure you get a test kit for that pond because you will want to routinely check the ph, ammonia and nitrate levels, among other things.

Perhaps your concern about the pump is also the amount of electricity being used Ė a fair concern for sure. Stopping the pump may depend upon whether or not you have a biological filter, whether you have a check valve in line before the bio filter, and also what the water temperature is. Bio filters produce beneficial bacteria, but without water the bacteria will die. However, bio filters will stop working when the water temperature drops down to about 55 degrees, so stopping a pump will have less of an affect. You do know that koi should be fed less often as the temperature drops, eh?

It sounds as if the filter that you have isnít in any way associated with a bio filter system. It could then be cleaned whenever needed. For example, in my koi pond I have a couple of filters within my skimmer box that I routinely clean, however I also have a 50 gallon bio filter drum with filters that I generally donít touch until things go dormant.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

About the only thing that we were told about it was to not feed the fish when the water temp went below 55.

Yes the electricity is my main concern right now. The pond is on a seperate meter than the house along with my shop. I haven't used anything in the shop yet, so the only thing on my bill was the pond. The bill was $125.00 last month!

I also just wanted a little help learning about care/maintenance

Thanks
Old 12-24-2004, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to note is that koi really don't care what the color of the water looks like, but we are the ones who like things crystal clear. It makes sense that with clear water you can also see the koi better, right? And ponds with clear water are always a bit more impressive than those that are green with algae.

Wow, that $125 doesn't sound right. I have a 3000 gph pump on 24-7 at my place and I'm guessing that my electric bill is about $20 more per month than if I had it off - and I don't think that my pump is the most economical. One reason why I also run it at night is that I enjoy the sound of the water when I'm in bed... but for $125 I'd quickly resort to plan B - the ol' sound effects CD of a mountain stream.

By the way, if you clean (pump) out some of the pond water, do only about a third of it. Don't want to shock the koi too much. Check the ph of your tap water so you know what your adding, and then treat accordingly. Generally you'll have to lower the ph slightly.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member