Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2005, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Licensing

I am starting out on my own this year. I am from PA and I was under the impression that you did not need any licenses to do lawn care or landscaping. I know that you need a license to fertilize. I was wondering if anyone else is from PA and would know exactly what license I would need. Or if anyone would know of a website that I could look it up at. I know that every state is different. Thanks in advance for everyone's help...and wish me luck.

Ron
Old 01-22-2005, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure you need to register with the State or county but not positive. Here is a link showing about sales tax though. Hope it is of some help.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...r55/s55.6.html
Old 01-22-2005, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Member

The only thing you need from PA to mow is a sales tax license. Although landscaping is a non taxable service. It can be obtained through the Dept. of Revenue.
http://www.etides.state.pa.us

As far as a business license, you need to call your town or borough office to find out if one is required for your lawn care operation. Some do not require it.

No licensing is required in PA to apply fertilizer only,(no pesticides, weed control; licence is required for these) however you should know what you are doing before you apply. You ruin a lawn and you're up the creek.

Last, you should look into liability insurance. Most commercial/industrial customers require it and it's a good idea anyhow. If a stone flys out from the mower in someones eye and you're not insured, you're REALLY up the creek.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, I already have the insurance part covered, thank God that my mother in law is an insurance agent. She took care of that already. I was actually under the impression that I was not allowed to apply fertilizer unless my company is fully licensed. I do it now for my boss, but I thought that I was allowed to b/c he is licensed. Any other info anyone has is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Ron
Old 01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lawrence Lawns what's your email? I have some questions for a fellow Pennsylvanian...
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnranger44
Hey Lawrence Lawns what's your email? I have some questions for a fellow Pennsylvanian...
So what are your questions?