Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doorhangers through a door mailslot?

I will be advertising soon and was wondering how you would think if you received a doorhanger or postcard through your mail slot in the front door. The village I am going to use mainly the slots in the front door where the postman slips the mail through. I pulled the regs from the govt website and it appears to be legal, my main concern is if it would be a turn off. I also ask because I believe the postcards are cheaper than the door hangers.

1.1Authorized Depository
Except as excluded by 1.2, every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any city delivery route, rural delivery route, highway contract route, or other mail route is designated an authorized depository for mail within the meaning of 18 USC 1702, 1705, 1708, and 1725.

1.2Exclusions
Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house mailboxes are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725 and are not private mail receptacles for the standards for mailable matter not bearing postage found in or on private mail receptacles. The post or other support is not part of the receptacle.
1.3Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are that close to the door to put in through the mail slot, I would be on the safe side and just hang it on the door handle. The need to take it off to get through the door, so you know you are at least going to be the first seen piece of junk mail they will have to wade through.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-15-2005, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi marko,

That is a great question. I agree with walker-talker, if you can, get it on the door knob and it will stand out.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is most people will use the side door to enter/exit the house. I am worried about the wind blowing them off.