Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

older walker mower...

Picked-up a winter project today, an older walker mower. Any of you walker lovers please feel free to jump in. I give you the following numbers, hoping that you can tell me some information: MODEL # MTGHS and SERIAL # 9314566. I got it for a song and without a deck. The motor and hydraulics are good. The paint is very worm. The grass hopper is in decent shape. I am in the market for a deck, probably a 52". Can I possibly get a "mechanic's manual" off of the internet. I am very mechanically inclined, so that end of the project should be OK. I will constantly puruse the internet for parts for sale (e-bay) and start from the beginning with ALL new tires. I guess, wish me luck. Again, anyone who is knowledgeable with these machines, jump right in and feed me some information. Remember...GO PATS !!!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

From the serial you gave it is a 1993 model. You can order a parts list from any Walker dealer or on line from Walker. There are no service or repair manuals for the general public. These manuals are for Walker dealers and service centers. The owners manual has a parts list and a wiring schematic.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

older walker mower...

I am learning as I go. I am told that with the rear discharge decks...that the 2 blades on the 42" deck are rotating to the center of the deck. This is so that the cut grass is being picked-up by the blower to be deposited in the catcher. QUESTION: with a 42" MULCHING deck, what is the blade rotation? I understand that it is different. I am also told that the drive that is on the rear discharge deck CAN NOT be used on the mulching deck, that you have to have the correct drive to accomplish the "mulching" process. Also, does anyone have any old drives laying around that they would be willing to part with. Thanks for any and all help in advance.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
I am learning as I go. I am told that with the rear discharge decks...that the 2 blades on the 42" deck are rotating to the center of the deck. This is so that the cut grass is being picked-up by the blower to be deposited in the catcher. QUESTION: with a 42" MULCHING deck, what is the blade rotation? I understand that it is different. I am also told that the drive that is on the rear discharge deck CAN NOT be used on the mulching deck, that you have to have the correct drive to accomplish the "mulching" process. Also, does anyone have any old drives laying around that they would be willing to part with. Thanks for any and all help in advance.
I work on Walkers every day so I should be of some help. First thing the blades do turn different but do not worry about it. The gear boxes on a mulching deck are set to take care of this. ALL Walker mower PTO shafts turn to the right (clock-wise) as viewed from sitting on the seat. The only thing you need to take care of is the blower. If you do not plug it, Walker makes a plug for this, or take the blower belt off it will still pick up grass and such and blow it it the catcher. If you do not have a plug or do not feel like taking the belt off just run with the catcher door open so anything that does get picked up is just blown out the back. Now there are two different PTO shaft lengths, one being a bit shorter than the other one and that maybe be what you heard about. Just try it and see if it is the right length. If the one you have is the long one and you are needing the short one in most cases you can still use it you just have to put it half way on as you are putting the deck one and when you side the deck up and put the pins in the PTO shaft can then be locked in place. Now if you have the short one and need the long one you are out of luck. Go to the Walker Mower web site and you see see the different decks and even the plug I was talking about. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

older walker mower

Fixer; Thanks for all of your help. The main project is at home up north, and I am in Florida for the winter, and collecting parts. I picked-up 2 used decks the other day: a 42" rear discharge and a 42" mulcher. Only the rear discharge had the drive on it. That's why I asked the drive questions. When I return home I am hoping that the decks match-up to the carriage that is attached to the mower. The mower came without a deck, so I have no idea what size deck the carriage belongs to. BUT, have no fear, one of my best friends is a professional welder. That should solve that potential problem in the waiting. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

jim

What sort of drive are you looking for? That mower took a rectangular drive shaft to the deck originally. There has been an upgrade that is universal as far as I know, for the 48" any way. My 62" deck has a drive shaft that telescopes in sections.I have an old deck frame,48".

Gene
Old 02-15-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

older walker mower...

Gene; the drive question was pertaining to the rotation of the drives, and,as I was told, the inter-changeability of the drives from one type of deck to a different type. The rotation of the drive and the resulting rotation of the blades: both toward the center in the rear discharge, both outward on the mulching deck and both (or all) to the right on the side discharge deck. Both of my current decks are 42" and only involve 2 blades. When you have a chance, send me a pm on the deck frame that you have. I am down south until the end of March, so whenever. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls
What sort of drive are you looking for? That mower took a rectangular drive shaft to the deck originally. There has been an upgrade that is universal as far as I know, for the 48" any way. My 62" deck has a drive shaft that telescopes in sections.I have an old deck frame,48".

Gene
Thanks for reminding me. The new PTO shaft is splined and the old ones were rectangular at the deck end. You can still get the older rectangular type PTO if you need it from Walker or a farm surply store should have the parts to build one seeing as you have a welder.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
Gene; the drive question was pertaining to the rotation of the drives, and,as I was told, the inter-changeability of the drives from one type of deck to a different type. The rotation of the drive and the resulting rotation of the blades: both toward the center in the rear discharge, both outward on the mulching deck and both (or all) to the right on the side discharge deck. Both of my current decks are 42" and only involve 2 blades. When you have a chance, send me a pm on the deck frame that you have. I am down south until the end of March, so whenever. Thanks.
Someone was talking about something other than a Walker. The PTO drive on a Walker is NOT reversible and there is no need for it to be. The rotation on the blades is taken care of by the deck gear boxes. If you take a deck apart and remove the gear boxes and put the center box in upside down the blades will turn backwards. Also the blower gear box from a diesel Walker will not work in a gasoline Walker because the blades will turn backward. Had that happen once. A owner brought us a gear box to put it and when we did the blades and fan both turned the wrong way and that is when we found out the blower gear box was out of a diesel Walker. The PTO shaft rotation is fixed and the only way to change it would be to rip out and change gear boxes.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

older walker mower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67
Someone was talking about something other than a Walker. The PTO drive on a Walker is NOT reversible and there is no need for it to be. The rotation on the blades is taken care of by the deck gear boxes. If you take a deck apart and remove the gear boxes and put the center box in upside down the blades will turn backwards. Also the blower gear box from a diesel Walker will not work in a gasoline Walker because the blades will turn backward. Had that happen once. A owner brought us a gear box to put it and when we did the blades and fan both turned the wrong way and that is when we found out the blower gear box was out of a diesel Walker. The PTO shaft rotation is fixed and the only way to change it would be to rip out and change gear boxes.
Maybe this was my fault...I was talking about the deck drives all the time. Sorry if it caused confusion. FIXER67: thanks for the info on the GAS/DIESEL blower set-up. I didn't know about that one.