Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2000, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm wondering if anyone is into lawn renovations. Do you use a combination slit seeder or do you pull aerating plugs and go over with a spreader full of seed?<br>How do you charge - per 1k sqft or by the hour? How long does a 5000 sq lawn take to renovate. It seems like early spring or fall would be the best times. Is this a profitable market? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-23-2000, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn renos are very profitable as long as you know what you are doing. you need to buy some books, there are few out there that are very helpful. and there are alot of secrets. i can not put them in your hands for free, they have cost me to much money and time to give the best away, for free. good luck
Old 05-23-2000, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn renos are very profitable as long as you know what you are doing. you need to buy some books, there are few out there that are very helpful. and there are alot of secrets. i can not put them in your hands for free, they have cost me to much money and time to give the best away, for free. good luck
Old 05-23-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,<p>Since you were so helpful on the mowerdeck ill do what i can on this one. Just finished a renovation two weeks ago. Used roundup to kill out all the existing turf/weeds on the clients front lawn. Used a ryan Mataway, which is a bear to operate but gives great results particularly if you do two passes at an angle to each other. We price it by the sq ft. and when you figure your price out make sure it kinda fits in between hydroseeding and sod costs per sq ft.<p>Late summer early FALL is deffinately the best time to do this, at least here in the northeast, even more so if the property doesnt have a sprinkler system. Also have less weed competion in the fall which allows you time to market to other customers the value of the service when there lawn just took another beating during the summer. Helps spread the rental costs over several properties.
Old 05-23-2000, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

steve:then write a book!<br>
Old 05-24-2000, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

why should i write a book for anyone they are already written. we use 10 tons per season inlawn renos. if you want a consult i charge $100 per hour. i'll show you flyers,contracts ,up sells ,add ons. what seed to use how to charge . how to avg 200-300 per hour. most won't pay for this info and i don't care if they won't . but the people i have helped never ask for their money back and call to tell me thanks and how much money they are now making. good luck
Old 05-24-2000, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I certainly didnt' ask this question to piss anyone off. I work with a bunch of guys at the firehouse and we are planning to do something similar to this in the fall. We are gonna rent a Ryan core areator and get some good seed and use my Bigfoot to overseed and top dress the lawns. I just thought some of you might have some advise for me and I also thought that if it was a profitable venture and I liked doing it then I may consider it next year. <br>Steve I fully realize that you are a businessman and if I really become serious after trying it this fall I will look you up for a consult. It sounds like you have it down to an art. Anyway thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it turns out. Good Luck.