Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sO what you're saying is not to hire too many guys. i know the rule of diminishing.... but its always either too many guys or too much work. I dont think there is ever a happy medium?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scraper, If my advice is worth anything, I might recommend that you focus. Do some analysis and see which types of jobs net you the most profit and also see which jobs are the most abundant. Hopefully, these two are the same but if they are not, try to determine which is more profitable in the long run. For example, if you net $400 a day in landscaping and $600 a day in mowing but you think that there are more landscaping jobs available then mowing jobs, then go with the landscaping.

Once you have determined which area to focus on, then do it. Put your time, energy, and resources into that area. Maybe if you focused on landscaping, you would get particularly proficient at it. You would be able to streamline more and reduce your overhead. You need to be using all of your equipment every day. If you don't then you are loosing money.

Advertising - Try this. 100 sq. ft. flower garden installed for $X. And put a picture of in on a flyer and put it on peoples doors. Underneath that picture you write "Other landscaping services available." People don't want to have free estimate. They want to know the price. There is a difference.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never let them know the price up front. too many variables
Old 02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
I never let them know the price up front. too many variables
Yes, I know that. That is the problem.

But what variables do you have with a flower garden that you cannot control?

We have already set the area - 100 sq. ft.
We have a set number and type of flowers.
We have a set amount of mulch
The install time will remain relatively constant

When you put a picture of your work along with a price on a flyer and deliver that to a customer, they will see your work and they will think "yes, I like that and can afford it." You then go to do the install (which you are particularly proficient at since you have done many that are similar) and you point out some other work that needs to be done. The customer then thinks to call you for their other landscaping needs.

You win both ways with this. You make a good profit on the install and you get your foot in the door with a customer.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your input PTP, but arent you the guy saying your getting 400 accts this year? sound like a loose cannon to me. But i thank you for your input!