Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was 9-10 years old I started out with a 21 murry,then 21 lawnboy, then 21 Jacobson (I was big time now), then 21 lawnboy, then 36 dynomark, model 70 ford 36", then 2 craftsmen 36", then 48" scag hydo walkbehing ( my first commercial mower) I still use it twice a week.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

my first mower was a 28 inch snapper rider my papaw gave me he bought brand new and never used then one day just gave it to me after it sat for two years and never used. I started mowing 10-15 yards a week with it and I tore out the rear end broke the shift lever got it fixed but needed something more durable so I bought an exmark.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm, well when I was about 12 I bought a Dynamark 3.75 hp. pusher. A piece of junk even by my 12 year old standards! I eventually worked up to my parents retired toro self propelled and then on to my first new snapper. The snapper was a nice mower, but the Briggs engine stunk. Frist rider was a Ariens YT 11 with a tripple bin grass catcher. I loved that machine! I could keep going with my mower timeline but all you wanted was first mowers. LOL
Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like most of us started with a 21". I started with a 13 year old Toro 21" with BBC. A 28" Snapper rider soon followed. I still have it way back in the shed somewhere.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I started more years ago than I like to remember with a Case 444 lawn tractor. I think that was the model number, it had a 14 horse kohler engine and a 44 inch deck. Had it for 10 years, rebuilt the motor iwice and replaced the deck but it was used hard and lasted a long time. I started at the same time with a double bladded axe that i used for rough work. Over the years I have had to replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but I still have it and it works as good as ever.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started at 12 and used the clients mowers! Cant beat that huh?, Moved to Toro 21" equip, went "legit" and bought a 48" Walker and 21" proline, now back to Toro 36 and 21 and concentrate on small residential. Whats the saying about returning to where you started? Might be using clients mowers next year.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

First Mower

I bought a Demo 36" SCAG beltdrive from an 'unreputable' dealer that went out of business pretty quickly afterwards. It was missing about $700 in parts but I got it for $500. It had less than 50 hours on it. I got the parts, all bolt-on, put them on, had it once-overed by a pro mechanic ($120.00) for a flywheel & magneto. BUTTER EVER SINCE!!!
All to do again, Hydro Anything.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

What I REALLY started on

Sorry to double-post... but I posted B4 I read too many others.

I actually made good cash for one summer with my 21" 3.5HP 'No-Name' mower from Menards that cost $99 and the deck flexed so bad that the blade would hit the deck if twisted enough. I put it in the trunk of my car, it folded up so small and weighed about 30 punds if that. I bought a bagger for it for $28 and was in the big time, I did have to take the bag unit up to the auto-body shop and give the guy $5 bucks to tack weld it in a few places for reinforcement. I gave it away still running! It ALWAYS started on the first pull. I probably made about $3,000 one summer with it, unbelievable. This IS that best country in the world.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started out with my parents 21" Snapper when I was 13. I bought myself a brand new 48" Bunton Bullet 3 months later. What a joke. It keep breaking. I had to buy my 32" eXmark for a back up. 1 acre with a 21" as your back up machine is not fun.

If I could do it all over again. I would start out with my standers.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 02-18-2005, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started with my dads 21" ryobi. I then got a super recycler, but sold it after I got a trucut p20s, proline and a honda. I then got a quick 36 and just picked up a 48" lazer hp that needs a new engine.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.