Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me, I think comes down to the demographics of my area. Remember, I have a terrible problem with churn. My customers are typically in their 30's or 40's and they are always calling to let us know they've decided to start doing it themselves. Anyone in their 30's or 40's who doesn't have access to e-mail is just plain odd. With the older people and folks who are unable to do it themselves, my churn is extremely low. But that is where I am running into customers who require snail mail.

Having said that, I would gladly trade positions with you guys. If I didn't have to constantly spend money advertising to replace my churn, I'd be happy to send out snail mail bills. The really old people aren't gonna be able to access a statement sent via e-mail, at least, not for the most part.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
I've been trying to push it for quite a while and so far I've got a total of 2 customers that want the bill emailed. Not sure what the problem is, but I'd much rather email them the bill than hassel with the snail mail.
yup, I know exactly what you mean
Old 03-07-2005, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Email for us also, but old customers no way. They still want you bang on the door and wait until they get to the door....what fustration. Some of them leave checks on the back porch but that was like pulling teeth. Some are finally converted to monthly payment, thank god, so we don't have to go thru the accounting about whether they payed for each mowing. All new OLD customers are asked to bring the money to our house and drop it in our deposit box, if they aren't going to be monthly. Some of them do that. When it comes to method of payment the customer has to be always right...?
The funny thing about the "bang on the door" types, they don't write the check until you bang on the door. Five or ten minutes, it takes one old gal. Even though you've been mowing for as long as an hour. What's up with that?
Maybe I should bang on the door when I first arrive, and they can write while I mow.
Crawdad
Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't looked into this option very aggressively....I guess you just attach an invoice for the month or week or whatever and send it? Okay, but how do you let them pay by credit card securely? Or do they just print out the invoice and mail you a check?

Matt
Old 03-07-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I been using this method for (2) years now. Currently about 75% of my base is on-board. The only problem I have encountered is allot of late payment. It's very easy to forget to print the invoice, or for it to mistakenly go to the trash folder.

I love it for not only the time savings but also much less postage....
Old 03-07-2005, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am really surprised at the people that do offer, how high the % of customers actually use it. I wish that I could get mine up that high. That is why one of the reasons I was thinking about making it mandatory
Old 03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tiedeman,

I wouldn't try making it mandatory on existing customers. I think you'd lose a few if you tried to force that. But with new customers, I don't think you'd have a problem.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think that I am going to try a mass campaign to current customers this spring and basically give them an instant credit if they sign up for it. I won't make it mandatory though That instant current will pay off in the long run by saving office supplies.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tiedeman,

Yes. Offer a small incentive if they agree to e-mail statements. I'd guess about half of my old customers have taken e-mail statements. I've only got 37 left on snail mail as of now. Two have just switched to e-mail in the last two days.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this is something that I am going to shoot for