Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2000, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,how much time is needed to power edge apx.580 linear ft.of sidewalk that has moderate growth using a good 3 wheel power edger,I will add the clean-up time.Many Thanks....got to get one of Phil's books!!<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 05-19-2000, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

From the book: Edging a concrete walk first time: when heavy turf buildup is present using a motorized edging machine, cutting and cleaning up site, 20min/100 linear feet<p>Why buy the book, just ask and you shall be quoted!!!
Old 05-19-2000, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Lawnguy,My guestimate was close...What book was that from??It's stuff like this that makes this site so great!!Keep up the GREAT work and hope to meet you at the Expo 2000!!<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 05-20-2000, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

20min/100 ft? Sounds a bit slow.We use a 3<br>wheel edger to edge 10 miles at one subdivision we do,and I get it all done in <br>6 hours,with moderate growth. Is a 3 wheel <br>edger necessary on this job? You can cut a<br>pretty decent edge with a line trimmer and <br>work at a fast walking/slow running pace.<br>580ft should only take about 1/2 hr maximum.<p>Karl<br>
Old 05-20-2000, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Karl,I guess what we have to think about is what is moderate growth..Some places have 3 to 4 inches of turf grass overlaping the walk...need the real tool for this job..By the time you clean-up 20 min. per 100 is should be close..I'm thinking?<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 05-21-2000, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The time is very close to how long it will take, based on what I deal with here-bluegrass turf which will grow 3-4 inches over on the walk per season.<p>Time is from Nilssons book Labor Time data handbook, (70 bucks?) good to have if you do a little of everything and not enough of one particular thing to have your own times to refer to. Or, if you dont need all the snow removal, parking lot sweeping, mowing times and just want landscaping operation time averages, spend the 20 bucks for Landscape Designer and Estimators Guide from National Landscapers Association or thru your local nursery. (I got mine 8 years ago thru Winfield Nursery in Suffield CT)<p>Bill