Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How do I price this job?

I have a customer that wants me to deliver 25 cubic yards of compost to here home. Place half of it in a flower bed in the front yard and the other half in a flower bed in the back yard. Then using my Mantis tiller, till this into each bed. The compost will cost me $25. I have no idea how much to charge for this service. Having never done this job, I'm thinking that it will take 2 or maybe 3 hours. would $125 to $150. be reasonable? Or is that too high?
I'd appreciate any guidence you guys may offer!
Thanks,
Tony P
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can do that by yourself in 2-3 hours come up to NJ and I'll keep you busy. I'd charge $50.00 delivery, and $45.00 a manhour. Don't forget gas for the tiller, are you wheelbarrowing all that to the back yard. I'd guess its gonna take you longer than you think.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyp
I have a customer that wants me to deliver 25 cubic yards of compost to here home. Place half of it in a flower bed in the front yard and the other half in a flower bed in the back yard. Then using my Mantis tiller, till this into each bed. The compost will cost me $25. I have no idea how much to charge for this service. Having never done this job, I'm thinking that it will take 2 or maybe 3 hours. would $125 to $150. be reasonable? Or is that too high?
I'd appreciate any guidence you guys may offer!
Thanks,
Tony P
Charlotte, NC

2 or 3 hours for 25 yards?
$25 material cost for 25 yards of compost?
Your willing to do this for $5/yard installed?
Hmmm, I've got lots of work for you......................

First off, 25 yards sounds like a lot for two beds.
Secondly this will take you about 25 hours minimum by yourself.(you will need to move quickly)
Third, where will you get compost for a dollar a yard?
Fourth, is this going to be delivered for free?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some advice.

Assuming you have a dual wheeled barrel with a 8 cu.ft. capacity. Now, it's going to take 3 heaping wheel barrels for ~1 cu.yd. I'd estimate that it will take you 15 minutes to load, transport, unload, and return a wheel barrel. Now 3 times 25 is 75 wheel barrels. Assuming no breaks, you don't get tired, you are loading really fast, etc. That is approximately 19 hours invested in just moving your compost.

Assuming an hourly wage of say 30/hr you are looking at 25 hours of compost transport. That puts you at 750 right off the bat. Now factor in your materials cost (in which you may want to make a profit on). Say compost is $25/yd...that's 625 to cover materials. You are now at ~1.4k.

Not trying to discourage you...but you might be biting off a little more than you can chew.

I believe most companies would do this size work via a crew of 5+ laborers or a loader.