Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

raised patio

Qustion on raised patio. I was under the assumption that you could build a raised patio with three retaining wall sides and just butt up against the house foundation block. Someone informed me the best way is with four walls, since it creates a self standing structure and won't have the force of the house exerting on it. What do you guys do?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three walls. The area where you have to be careful is above the foundation. Sometimes, the foundation doesn't extend as far as you might think and you could be basing in against studded walls. One example is on a stucco wall. You have to be sure where the foundation ends.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mike that's what I always thought. Now this guy that told me this is a very seasoned pro who does large jobs so I don't discredit his thoughts, just think its overkill. You never posted on the paver lights. Have you ever done them?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Vic, I don't think that it is a bad idea, but I think it would become cost prohibitive on most jobs. I thinlk it would become cost prohibitive without offering much value.

Yes, I have installed lights.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Believe you me, I didn't recommend them they asked for them. I added $$ into the estimate for someone to do electric if I can't figure it out, so I think it will be a "good learning experience" aka pita I have heard people post about paver lights that aren't low voltage and they seem to be the way to go, but no suppliers around here. Well we got this forum up so hopefully it will be used alot.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Vic, I meant the fourth wall could become cost prohibitive without offering much value, not the lights.

With regard to this forum, I hope it is a success. There were concerns with diluting the forums with the creation of this forum. I think not creating this forum diluted the commercial landscape forum. Hardscape has nothing to do with any of the other landscape topics and is a different animal in itself. That is why I agreed with you and felt it made sense.