Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-18-2005, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into it. My own property requires about 310 yards of mulch. I did not choose rubber mulch because of the chemicals, it may cause an odor, and one of the main benefits of organic mulch is the water retention properties and decomposition of the mulch which places nutrients back into the soil.
As suggested, rubber mulch has several grades. Playground mulch, I believe, is the most refined. This means that the wires (steel belts) have all been removed so that the children will not get hurt. However, there may be a grade that could be used on hills and away from the house. I assume that it would not be as refined. (small steel pieces and larger chunks of rubber). Remember to wear gloves when handling.
Mark
Old 03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good thread Lawnpro-
Clients will always ask you about it because they ALL want "low maintenance".

Have you asked your local plantstock nurseries for their take on it?

We haven't used it because our suppliers tell us it will hold in too much summer heat for their plantstock, as well as the chemicals naturally leaching from it into their topsoil. There are flammability issues with rubber mulch the same way resiny/oily mulches like cypress and cedar can be when cig-butts are smoldering away in them. A definite no-no for commercial properties and shopping centers, where cig-butts get slung into the mulch before they'll ever leave it on the lawns as a first choice.

If clients really want to get serious about low maintenance for their beds - they'll either need to get serious about perennial plantings so thick and naturally prolific as to overcome the need to mulch year after year (can be done as a work in progress over the course of several seasons to fit their budgets), or else they'll need to get serious about decorative rock/gravel beds (with the need for courses of steel, aluminum or industrial-poly edging on flatlands or stonewalls to retain the rock/gravel on the hillsides to keep it out of the lawns - it will be the last edging job they'll ever need though!).

Regards
Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.