Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2005, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Creating website for your business

Ok, I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to create a website. like how do you go about doing it, and how much does it cost and everything. any info is appreciated.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing you need to do is choose a domain name.. see if it's available and register it (for a price). I think I paid $60 for 3 years...

I created mine myself using notepad and it was challenge. I learned quite a bit but it took me a while to finish. If you're not up to a challenge.. there are templates available for free and for purchase. Check Gopher's site as I believe he has some.

Next.. you need to choose a web company to host your site. I'm not sure of the pricing (my cousin hosts mine free) but I believe you can get it as low as $4.95/mo and go up from there. I believe the term "you get what you pay for" applies here. So be careful with your choice.

That's all I can offer... I hope the info is correct and useful.

Good luck.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 03-23-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

clines, web design does not appear to be a core focus of theirs.
----
clipper, first thing to do would be to research what you can, as well as visit gopher (a lawnsite sponsor). gopher has templates, which would be a great way to get your feet wet, as well as they maintain a message board of their own that is probably of great help.

as for your direct questions, i'd suggest the following:
- visit other service-related sites, and specifically the many lco sites you can find on yahoo/google/or through this forum.
- take what you've researched and then come up with a list of features you'd like
- decide what you want your site to accomplish for your business. is it a site that you only intend for people to find if they actually read your link on your signage, cards, ads, flyers, etc? or is it something you hope also brings in business from search engines, by a potential customer who know's nothing about you other than they typed in "Nashville AND mowing".
- research the heck out of this forum. you'll find many requests for critiques, and by reading those threads, you can get a guage for what works, what doesn't, and what might constitute a train wreck.

Last edited by tonygreek; 03-23-2005 at 10:51 PM.