Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Collecting tax really is no big deal. I had a few questions years back when I went legit and and started collecting tax....but no problems since. Just list your price and "plus sales tax" behind it.....

For snow removal the first $5000 is sales tax free, after that it is collected. But with lawn service/landscaping it starts at the first $1.

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-24-2005, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontgomery
Collecting tax really is no big deal. I had a few questions years back when I went legit and and started collecting tax....but no problems since. Just list your price and "plus sales tax" behind it.....

For snow removal the first $5000 is sales tax free, after that it is collected. But with lawn service/landscaping it starts at the first $1.

Derek
Might want to rethink that statement. Ring a Govt. tax agent.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

according to the state tax page

If you were in the business last year and your gross sales from these services were $5,000 or more, you must register as a service provider, collect and remit sales tax.

If you were in the business last calendar year with total sales of these services being less than $5,000 and you are not sure if your sales will be $5,000 or more this year, you must register and begin collecting the tax when your sales equal or exceed $5,000.

If it is reasonable to expect that your total sales will be $5,000 or more, you must register as a service provider. end quote....

so are you being sarcastic, or do you really get some kind of break for collecting these taxes, hahhah

so i guess you have to send it in monthly weither you tax someone or not.....
is there a certain form that goes with it....
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontgomery

The rule is the same for snow and lawncare. If you expect to do less than $5k in business, then you are not required to collect sales tax. If you expect to do over $5k, you need to be collecting sales tax from the beginning. There is no exempt amount. Nothing like making the law clear and concise.