Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

getting lowballed before i cut my first lawn...

guy in the sunday local paper, 10 to cut a lot, 15 for a corner lot....

am i right in not stooping to this, i planed on 25-30per lawn and they are small.. but not 10.00 small, oh well discourageing, but i wont give up that easy...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Let's say you go widget shopping. Cost is 20 bucks at home ripoff but only 10 dollars at blowes. Usually, you are going to buy the cheaper of the two products.

Would you go around to blowes and start calling them 'lowballers' cause they offer the widget cheaper? Perhaps its b/c the quality widget from home ripoff is higher and there is a 90-day limited warranty on the widget. Or...perhaps homeripoff is a highballer.

SELL YOUR SERVICE NOT YOUR PRICE!!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

okk i get it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234
Let's say you go widget shopping. Cost is 20 bucks at home ripoff but only 10 dollars at blowes. Usually, you are going to buy the cheaper of the two products.

Would you go around to blowes and start calling them 'lowballers' cause they offer the widget cheaper? Perhaps its b/c the quality widget from home ripoff is higher and there is a 90-day limited warranty on the widget. Or...perhaps homeripoff is a highballer.

SELL YOUR SERVICE NOT YOUR PRICE!!

ill try harder next time, your right thanks you....
Old 03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I love it! Thats funny yet good advice!!!!!! LOL
Old 03-19-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Open the paper this am and go to the service section.....to see how many newbies this year....and what do I see???

Lawncare - MOW, BLOW, & GO LAWNCARE. Mowing, hedges, weed eating, edging, etc. Fre est. 257-6566

SO....here we go for this season......I was hoping this wouldnt happen but looks like another scrub has entered the playing field. No biggie Just thought I would share......I LOVE THE NAME OF THE COMPANY!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
guy in the sunday local paper, 10 to cut a lot, 15 for a corner lot....

am i right in not stooping to this, i planed on 25-30per lawn and they are small.. but not 10.00 small, oh well discourageing, but i wont give up that easy...

Yes, you are right. The key is to provide a quality service, charge the fee that you charge. Because this guy chargeing $10.00 will probably not be around very long, then his customers will look to you.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You shouldn't even worry about the "extreme" lowballers like this guy. When someone's charging less than half the going rate for an area, customers get a little suspicious. The maintenance side is very price-driven, but most customers are looking for a good deal, not someone who's obviously clueless and will more than likely be a hassle to do business with.

My opinion anyway.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you where all right, glad i listed to you

you guys really do have great advise, very smart people here... i am starting to get a few calls... heck with the 10.00 guy anyway.....my lawns are pretty, and worth it...
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As someone once told me. "I don't let the guy who went out of business set my prices." And this guy doesn't know it yet, but he is out of business.

Quality work, salesmanship, reliability, looking professional, not showing up drunk are all controllable things that will help you build a solid business. You won't get 100 accounts overnight, but you will be able to build a solid business of accounts that will pay market or slightly higher for your work.

Which would you rather do mow 100 $15 lawns or 50 $30 lawns. For me that is real easy math, especially if they are the same size lots.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a couple that have recently been put in my local paper...

Weekly mowing mulch, push mowing & bagging. Core aeration & shrub trimming. Most lawns $15-20.

Schedule now for preseason Disc. Mowing $15-$25. Fert & weed control $18-$40.

Am I worried? no. Might I try to sub out a couple dog poop filled $30-35 lawns? Quite possibly. I do quality work, and my customers appreciate that. Last year one of my customers ($25/cut) was offered $15/cut by a lowballer. He said no way because he knows I'll be there every week, and the the lawn will look great every time I leave.